Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 25-01-2004 , 10:18 PM

Pinocchio WIP (DivX)

Hey guys!

I'm currently working on a little animation for my animation demo reel (have to get job now...) and decided to give life to something "lifeless" - After a while I came up with "Pinocchio". Well, it's quite... different to the models I modeled and animated before, so I gave this little fella a try!

I just started yesterday and finished legs, boots, body (but I'll completely rework this one, because I'm very unhappy how it turned out!) and hat - The face will be the last thing I'll model. Hope I'm able to complete this whole thing in a few days from now on.

Well, nothing's textured right now and it's quite early, but I honestly hope you like it!

https://members.chello.at/anna.mahler/pinotest.avi

That's the leg - It's actually an "older" version because I reworked the shoes today. About the rig: The shoes are not rigged yet, because I'll use SmoothSkinning for that and for this little test I did not want to go into Weight Painting yet...

https://members.chello.at/anna.mahler/pinotest02.avi

That's the body - As I already mentioned, I'm VERY unhappy with this one. It's too fat and I did not manage to model it right. That's because I worked on a similiar model some time ago and just tried to get away with "similiar modeling", but I guess I failed miserably. The hat will also shape-change, because currently it fits the body, but my Pinocchio Interpretation will be a lot slicker - So the hat is going to change with the body.

Tomorrow I'll work on arms and gloves and I hope to finish the face before next weekend - I'll keep you guys updated, hope you already like my 'not-so-finished-not-so-awesome' tests! ;-)

Edit: Hey, if someone wants that body mesh, I'll give it to you!

Last edited by Thomas Mahler; 25-01-2004 at 10:27 PM.
# 2 25-01-2004 , 11:09 PM
Subscriber
don't be so hard on yourself yet. Looks like a great start. and besides, seeing where you want to inprove is half the battle.

# 3 26-01-2004 , 12:15 PM
Hmm, early today morning I thought I could try to adjust the body mesh - Well, I'm still not 100% satisfied, but it's a lot better now. I'm not sure if I'll use it in the final version, but it'll do for now.

https://members.chello.at/anna.mahler/pinotest03.avi

# 4 26-01-2004 , 02:03 PM
nice - you got ole Pin to lay off the beer :p

# 5 06-02-2004 , 04:24 PM

# 6 07-02-2004 , 12:10 AM
Subscriber
what compresser did you uses again ? and have a link to the codec ?

# 7 07-02-2004 , 10:16 AM

# 8 07-02-2004 , 11:51 AM
Subscriber
the test animation looks good. moves like its pupeted..

# 9 07-02-2004 , 03:56 PM
The Maya Mountain
Very nicely done so far. I like the quality of the render. Keep it up!

# 10 14-02-2004 , 10:54 AM
First headtest - Very unoptimized, but the geometry is okay so far. The shape of the head is not 100% correct right now, but it should be a walk in the park to bring it into the right shape.

Hope you like it!

Last edited by Thomas Mahler; 23-04-2004 at 08:34 PM.
# 11 17-02-2004 , 04:46 PM
Alright, the body is nearly completed. The form of the body changed and the head is also in a good shape now. I'll post some head updates later!

Edit: Oh, dont mention the arms, somehow they transformed badly - And I've already got other versions, that are a lot better.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Thomas Mahler; 17-02-2004 at 04:50 PM.
# 12 18-02-2004 , 12:06 AM
Subscriber
just wandering, at some point diring your animation are you going to have strings attached to it ?

# 13 18-02-2004 , 01:00 PM

Originally posted by Pony
just wandering, at some point diring your animation are you going to have strings attached to it ?

Well, actually, I also already thought about that. My Pinocchio Interpretation is going to dance to Michael Jacksons "I'm bad" and I guess it'd be pretty cool to start with strings and, during the song, Pino rips the strings of his joints and really starts to get crazy... What do you think about that?

Ah, and I've got a question, hope someone could help me with that!

If I create the UVs and texture Pinocchio in his current poly shape and, for the animation, convert the Polygonal Model to a SubD Model, will Maya trash my textures and the UV layout or will all these things also be converted? I never worked with SubDs in Maya before, so, hope someone could enlighten me! :-)

# 14 18-02-2004 , 07:27 PM

# 15 18-02-2004 , 08:51 PM
nicely done... I like it!

Noo0ooB... beginner... novice... newby... I'am new ! ! !

VERY BAD ENGLISH !