Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 26-06-2011 , 03:19 AM
Lifetime Member

Feng Zhu image 27

HI peoples,

as some of you know I have pulled out of the toy challenge due to work commitments...there are some super entries so I wont be missed LOL. I have 2 projects which I will try to finish...one is the USS Defiant using a LW tutorial which I have yet to finish modelling. The transition from one program to another has been frightfully painful, though rewarding...as yes I am getting it doen, despite the differences in toolsets and methods. Pop over the Simply LW and you will see mine in tandem with 'arma'. Arma has finished modelling (bugger) but I am trying to gte mine done. The major hassles I will have will of course be when I smooth parts etc...as ctbram will appreciate...painful shit.

Anyway...I have been modelling this scene here and there...all credit to Feng Zhu for his artwork....fantastic stuff!! Love it...he was what I wanted to be when I was 16...sigh..alas that will never be...Im a Surveyor now..tough titties for me. I have e-mailed the academy for permission to use his image and have not recieved a reply...so I am posting this anyway..I hope I dont step on toes.

I realise that my modelling skills are mediocre at the best of times but I am proud that I can branch out away from a tutorial and give it a shot. I also know I have a LONG way to go before I even understand what Im doing with Maya...I dont have a of sparetime so forgive me for my lack of expertise. I am trying...thats the main thing and Im not scared of listening to you guys who are a great bunch of people. Anyway enough of the bullshit...here we go

cheers bullet

Image 1 is the ref.....enjoy (please if you throw objects....make sure its food LOL I need to feed my 5 kids)

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 2 26-06-2011 , 03:21 AM
Lifetime Member
some more for your perusal

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 26-06-2011 , 03:22 AM
Lifetime Member
last one for the day

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 4 26-06-2011 , 11:55 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
I see you have made quite some progress and I am not only talking about this particular project, you have definitely made some improvements skillwise

# 5 26-06-2011 , 01:08 PM
Lifetime Member
My humble thank you mastone...I try. Getting ones eye in is a difficult path....indeed it is

bullet1968

# 6 26-06-2011 , 01:16 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
# 7 26-06-2011 , 03:44 PM
The thin red line
I agree with mastone you are comming along with your skills in maya, not sure that this lastest model will stretch you, but looking good..........dave

# 8 27-06-2011 , 05:01 PM
Simply Maya OG
Looks good man. I can't wait to start modeling again...school cant come soon enough! Curious to see how this comes out.

- Hybrid
# 9 27-06-2011 , 07:17 PM
Yep, you have improved loads since you first joined Bullet, looking forward to seeing you get even better!
Legend of Zombie did a version of this a while back, always liked the concept work, and you're doing a good job on it so far so best of luck with it mate.

# 10 27-06-2011 , 09:46 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks mastone...stretch dave? man this is going to hurt me LOL...I have so much more to do detail wise. Then I also have to interpret the other rooms. Thanks mate

I-Iybrid..thanks mate...school! you lucky devil....he he he he. Yeh I have an idea for a sub arctic base that has been abandoned...with added rooms etc...dunno if that concept will fruit.

Cheers Dango..LOL yes it was LOZ who put me onto it...we were goingto have a private crack at each other and try to inspire each other back into modelling...he got busy and so did I...LOL so its just me at the mo...I love the concept art tis guy produces man...I might be modelling more of his stuff if I can pull this one off.

Oh and dave this will be the whole hog mate, texturing and lighting....thats the stretchy point I think LOL

cheers everyone

bullet1968

# 11 28-06-2011 , 02:36 AM
Lifetime Member
Well Im not exactly sure what the top half does?? I have done an extraction fan as concept but Im not confident this fits with the scene?? any ideas...the bottom plate LOOKS like and energy transfer area...but there is a rail preventing people falling off...so Im not sure..hmmmmm

made another this arvo...have a few more to throw at you later...dunno even if its worth it?? unless I put them into the render scenes...shots from below...hmmmmm

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 28-06-2011 at 06:13 AM.
# 12 28-06-2011 , 08:07 AM
Lifetime Member
Or this one? I like the Dalek feel of this image

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 13 28-06-2011 , 08:44 AM
The thin red line
Second one up I would go for Bullet..............dave

# 14 28-06-2011 , 09:21 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks dave...yeh I kinda like it too...reminds me of a Boeing engine...

bullet1968

# 15 28-06-2011 , 04:38 PM
Subscriber
Looking cool ant. Chunky and engineering-y.
I tried looking for your defiant in the wip thread over at simply lightwave last night. Wierd. Its like simply maya in a parallel universe...but I couldnt see it. Saw some cool robots by that french guy... Hec mere?...in his don quichotte thread...but couldnt see your work?