Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 16 03-01-2005 , 06:04 PM
Thanks but the terrain is a photo I took a while back.

# 17 03-01-2005 , 08:03 PM
lol that explains why it looks so real user added image

D.

# 18 04-01-2005 , 03:24 PM
Ok finally got motivated to do some more work on this thing. It's hard to work in Maya all day at work then come home and work some more.....all I really want to do at night is play some games user added image

Anyway small update, I have started remodeling the legs a bit. Adding more detail and creating each leg part as a solid mesh.

Attached Thumbnails
# 19 04-01-2005 , 03:26 PM
Another shot of the leg....

Attached Thumbnails
# 20 04-01-2005 , 03:27 PM
One more......

More to come!

D.

Attached Thumbnails
# 21 04-01-2005 , 08:07 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Dragon

Its looking better already. The detail will really help to sell it. Its tricky sometimes to decide how much to do even for if its to be shown up close or whether its for your own psychological eccentricities. But either way its much better. Do you feel happier about it too now you have made the improvements? I bet you are, sometimes its worth the extra push on the models despite the aggravation it can bring and also the want to get it done and show off the work. Keep it going

All the best
_J

# 22 05-01-2005 , 06:18 PM
Thanks Jango! Your right, at first I wanted to build something simlpe, model wise, and show off more animation ability but after everyones input I desided that I should just take the time and create a stronge model as well, so thanks for the modivation everyone! user added image

Now that I look at the older version, yes I am very happy with where it is going. I have even come up with some other ideas that I may add in.

I also should have an update real soon. after looking at the new leg I desided that the old foot just didn't work so I am re-doing that as well, though I will be keeping the claw like look because I like that user added image

Thanks again everyone!!

D.

# 23 05-01-2005 , 06:23 PM
I'm starting to feel that the top of the leg is too organic looking, even if you are giong for an organic type of look you may want to make small panels and seams etc to show that it's still made of metal etc.

:bandit:
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 24 05-01-2005 , 06:31 PM
I also think it is improving well. keep going.

# 25 05-01-2005 , 06:47 PM
Thanks guys! I will figure something out to fix that Alan, thanks.

Samll update on the new leg, also the foot isn't done but you can see where I am going.

D.

Attached Thumbnails
# 26 05-01-2005 , 06:48 PM
One more.....

D.

*Edit* BTW the Right leg is the old and the Left is the new, after seeing the two together like this I am very happy that I got some C&C from you all user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Dragon3D; 05-01-2005 at 06:50 PM.
# 27 05-01-2005 , 06:54 PM
amazing dude! excelent work!

amitofo
# 28 05-01-2005 , 07:14 PM
I have crit that is going to be painful after all that detail. You are using a ball joint at the knee. A ball joint will limit the movement when you go to animate it. Do a test and rotate the leg and you will see you will only get a few degrees of movement. I would use a hinge joint there. ball joints are good for hips where it does a swivel motion on the joint. In otherwords, now rotate that joint in a twist motion like you are trying to twist the leg off under the knee. It can rotate like that 360 degrees. If the bll joint came out of the knee sideways it would work.

# 29 05-01-2005 , 07:49 PM
I was using the same joint on the original and didn't seem to have any problems with that though now that I look at it there is more distance between the ball and the leg on the old, may have to fix that. The reason I used a ball joint was because I want the lower part of the leg to be able to move left and right, not just back and forth, to help with the stance (see the very first pic I posted on page 1) and allow for movement that is more agile.

D.

# 30 06-01-2005 , 04:31 AM
Nice job! I can't wait to see some animations with backdrops and stuff!user added image