Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 20-05-2007 , 08:12 AM

Character model

Done form character modeling book. I'm just putting a face grab for now the body has not recieved much detial. ...

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 20-05-2007 , 11:53 AM
Nice work so far, better than anything I can do. My only crit is that on the cheek there are six faces sharing one vertex. I think the goal is four faces but definitely no more than five. This is what I've read anyway. I think it has something to do with texturing and/or animation. Other than that, it looks like it's coming along nicely.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 20-05-2007 , 12:21 PM
Everything except the eye(I suppose you havent started working on it yet) looks really awesome right now. user added image

And yeah you should reduce the polygon to 5 vertexes at least.(Even tho I couldnt find it even as I searched like a madman.) user added image

# 4 20-05-2007 , 12:28 PM
Weyu: hehe,

here's what I was refering to.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 5 20-05-2007 , 12:29 PM
Forgot the attachment.

Attached Images

Exceed Expectations!
# 6 20-05-2007 , 12:35 PM
Aww, yeah you should fix that up, I think it will create some weird looking effects when you smooth it later on. Not only due to that it shares so many polygons the line is also going rather weird.

# 7 21-05-2007 , 02:18 AM
I see that point... it seems to show up every time I make a face. The book is specific as to when geometry is changed though. However, it was fixed a couple steps later now the support count is five. I'll post an update right away. Are tight corners of the lips something to be avoided? If I'm going to change them I need to do it now. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 21-05-2007 , 02:22 AM
Update. Mostly tweaks but I think the form is as close to refrence as I can get. Next is the ears.

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 21-05-2007 , 06:10 AM
Nice fix on the cheek. I think you did a great job knocking it down to 5 faces.

Exceed Expectations!
# 10 21-05-2007 , 06:34 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
nice start, there are some things that need adjusting though;
- i personally think it is to high poly at the moment for adjusting your model easily, so the next time when u model, make one half low poly and then use a mirrored smooth proxy, then push and pull points in the low poly and look at the results in your high poly mesh.
- as you can see there are some lines that i've (poorly)drawn on your image;
these are but a few points that i've seen,there are a lot more points but these are the most important;
the dotted blue line is where you need to make another edge loop.
- i think the vertices are a bit messy and you should round out the face and get rid off any sharp corners.

maybe you can use the sculpt polygon tool and use a mild smooth flood on your model to straighten things out.

good luckuser added image

# 11 21-05-2007 , 06:34 PM
forgot the image:headbang:

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 22-05-2007 , 08:39 PM
Hey.
Thanks for the help. I can work with the vertex postion however I am following a book that is very specific on topology and an edit could mean later complication. I will rember your coments in future models. I'm taking a short break to make a gold chinese fan. ... Sounds simply eh?
anyway i'll put up a pic just to fill the gap. I should be back on the girl tonight.

Attached Thumbnails
# 13 23-05-2007 , 06:35 AM

Originally posted by wokendreams
Hey.
Thanks for the help. I can work with the vertex postion however I am following a book that is very specific on topology and an edit could mean later complication.

no it doesn't, i don't know who wrote the book but i sincereley doubt that it should be as in your "facegrab"
if i were you i would listen to the many things the people mentioned to you and it doesn't hurt to look at other people who are modeling heads/ organic models and look at what comments they get.
good luck

# 14 23-05-2007 , 07:17 PM
What made you think i don't see errors I want to fix? Why did you imply that I don't look at thread after thread? Why are even pushing this? These things are step by step. You think you know line (A) goes (here) next, the book doesnt say so. Mabey it does go there later, mabey not. To say not to follow the insteuctions of the book I set out to follow isn't a very educated thing to say. Your like my classmate telling me you know better than the teacher. Really? wow write a book. Also Here is the step I was on right after the first pic Face grab two is almost right after it only with tweaking (as instructed). Topology is exact because I only do what the book says. I thought it would be helpfull to others to see a full character model from a proper source evolve, but if I can't post without either having a finished piece or listing to someone tell me not to follow the book then really no one will learn.

Also on a personal note you act like your not wrong. I stare at that thing for days trying to learn it and I realy think the area under the eyes matches the refrence, and the conour out of the nose is the same. you had already said your two bits you dont need to come back argueing like this, I do what I think is right, And when did I say I haven't looked at others work and coments.

I din't make the thread for you, be considerate.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by wokendreams; 23-05-2007 at 07:22 PM.
# 15 23-05-2007 , 08:32 PM
Subscriber
/me *grabs popcorn +_+

:blush: