Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 46 25-01-2003 , 12:54 AM
Subscriber
Thanks guys! I'll do an retractable landing gear in the coming hours. user added image

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 47 25-01-2003 , 03:03 AM
Subscriber

Landing gear Part 1

Did the "wheel" in polys and the tire in nurbs, which will be converted to polys afterwards.

I am blessed with several photos of the landing gear, so I intent to do all the detail, making it retractable.

# 48 25-01-2003 , 05:35 AM
Subscriber

Landing Gear Part 2

Well, I have cut into the big surfaces and made some new ones inside.

For this I got to try the Rebuild-Nurbs-Surface (Trim Convert) to remove the excessive number of cv's that tags along a trimmed surface. The only criteria for doing this is that the surface must have 4 sides.

Although I try to keep it simple, I also used the stitch tool once.

I'll keep going with the landing gear itself, it shouldn't bee too hard.

Edit:
Me and my big mouth. The thingy has so many (too many) joints, that I'll skip the high precision stuff. It will be pretty precise, just not like 100% functional mechanics.

Last edited by undseth; 25-01-2003 at 10:59 AM.
# 49 25-01-2003 , 12:29 PM
Subscriber

Landing Gear Part 3 Completion

Pheuh I wasted hours on figuring how to make the landing gear work like real-life-mechanics. Too much trouble, so I simply completed the modeling.

Last edited by undseth; 25-01-2003 at 12:32 PM.
# 50 25-01-2003 , 12:31 PM
Subscriber

Just a rendering with some more details

Enter landing gear...

# 51 26-01-2003 , 07:39 AM
Subscriber

Engine Part 1

It was so much fun to model this that I used way too much time doing only these parts.

Last edited by undseth; 26-01-2003 at 07:42 AM.
# 52 26-01-2003 , 07:43 AM
Subscriber
The picture

# 53 27-01-2003 , 07:01 PM
Subscriber
undseth - this model is looking really great! NURBS are the tool for the most precise mechanical modeling - damn are they hard to master but the results are sweet. i've been working on and off on my mclaren model and i have yet to figure out what the rebuild surfaces trim-convert accomplishes - actually nothing when i use it... a trim is always a trim, right? when you take away the trim aspect you lose the hole - or is there a way of trimming and rebuilding where you retain the shape and end up with a simple NURBS object? confused. again - looking really fine - keep it up user added image

Check out the subsurfacescattering on my tongue...

<a href="https://www.reitzmachine.com">www.reitzmachine.com</a>
# 54 27-01-2003 , 09:40 PM
Subscriber
Hi Ereitz! The "trim-convert" works only with a four sided surface, as it needs two directions for the "U" and two for the "V". Else it doesn't work.

Come to think of it, I dont think you can rebuild a surface in any way once it is trimmed, but there is an easy solution to it (I guess).

If you use the "untrim" tool under nurbs from the main menu, you loose your trimming, but you still keep your projection curves. So you can simply do the untrimming, rebuilding and then finally do the trimming again.

I have learned so much more about nurbs the last month, and it is real fun to feel confident about nurbs modeling.

I found a picture of the interior of the engine today, so the engine will be finished tomorrow. user added image

Did you know:
That you can make maya insert isoparm at the most "preferred" place by shift klicking TWO isoparms on a surface, and then go to the options box for the insert-isoparm-tool, selecting the other "in between" option.

I'm not 100% sure why this is good, but I guess you get a more predictable surface if you rebuild later on. (maybe you dont have to rebuild at all?!?)

# 55 28-01-2003 , 04:45 AM
Subscriber

The engine is 99% done now

Well, I see from this pic that I must adjust something, but it's pretty much done now. Fascinating to see the shadows play with the many edges in this model.

# 56 28-01-2003 , 05:17 AM
I love the detail on your engine! Great work. Are you going to texture it?

Please check
My (old) website!
# 57 28-01-2003 , 06:14 AM
Subscriber
I love doing the smaller details. It takes so little to enhance the look of this. Putting on some 6 sided polygon-objects makes up for the bolts. Although my bolts are a little more elaborate, they are still simple. And of course the proportioning of parts is also important to get that "real" look I am going after.

I intend to do a major texture job on this airplane. But I guess I'll use some kind of standard shader on the engine. Just to give the parts some material-color and material-bumps.

I am now going over the engine to delete any unneccessary faces and making the parts one-sided in the attribute editor to (hopefully) save some memory.

I wonder if, theoreticly, that an enclosed poly-cube is less a memory/space "hog" if it is rendered one-sided???

# 58 28-01-2003 , 06:19 AM
Subscriber

Starting to model the nurbs-propellars

Last time I made propellars, I lofted it by several curves, but I'll try to make one from a 10 span nurbs-cylinder this time.

Converting it to polys later on.

# 59 28-01-2003 , 06:50 AM
Subscriber

Wow this was fast

I used one of the tools found in the "animation-menu-items" and did a ...

deform --> create nonlinear --> twist

Works great, but I have to study the result to be sure I'm happy with this.

By deforming an object and deleting its history you get to keep the transformation.

# 60 28-01-2003 , 06:51 AM
Subscriber
The pic