Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 21-03-2010 , 08:24 AM
Lifetime Member

smoothness wont work_hot keys

Hi guys,

well Ive googled and googled ad nauseum and cant find a solution. My smooth operation on the 1,2,3 keys wont function at all, I have uninstalled and reinstalled Maya to no effect. It tells me in the command bar down below it has completed the op but nothing happens to the model. I resort to smooth mesh and CTRL Z atm but this is painful. Any ideas from the wide audience out there??

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 2 21-03-2010 , 09:44 AM
The thin red line
Hi Bullet
Could be a crupt scene, open a new scene if it works there then import your model into a new scene.............dave

# 3 21-03-2010 , 10:28 AM
Lifetime Member
Hi dave,

nah mate tried all that, nothing worked, even ctbram led me through a preference delete/reconfig, that didnt work either. I might have to unin/re-in again??

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 21-03-2010 , 02:00 PM
Have you tried using the Page Up key? Page Up/Page Down control the smooth iterations for the preview. If the smoothness level is at 0, you won't see any changes. Try pressing the 3 key then hitting Page Up 2-3 times and see if that works.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 5 21-03-2010 , 02:57 PM
Nitro that is neat I did not know you could adjust the smooth preview subdivision level using the page up and page down keys.

That will come in handy. For some parts I like the sub division level at 3 instead of the default 2 and for that I go to edit attributes (ctrl-a) and make the adjustment in the smooth mesh tab.

Page-up and down changes the subdivision level on the selected object. I looked in preferences and did not see a way to set it globally. Is there some place he could have done that because as I recall he gets the subdivision level 0 for smooth preview (3-key) on everything even after opening a fresh file.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 21-03-2010 at 03:05 PM.
# 6 21-03-2010 , 07:25 PM
AFAIK, there isn't a global pref for this. It just works on a per mesh basis. You can select a mesh's shape node and enable/disable/edit the smooth preview in the attribute editor, as well. Maya 2009+ adds render subdivision to these settings so you can do some things like turn off the preview but still have it render out out subdivided in MR. Here's a short blog article on it:

https://www.muttsy.net/blog/2010/01/2...mooth-preview/

I use 2008 so just have the basic attibutes (basically what's already controlled by hotkeys).

It looks like someone else has encountered the same issue:

https://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=696887

# 7 21-03-2010 , 10:15 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks Nitro I will give it a go

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 8 21-03-2010 , 10:33 PM
Lifetime Member
Ok guys,

I can get the subs to work in the attribute editor no probs but it still doesnt work. When I press the p-up or down the command saya "Error: No proxy detected on pSphereShape1." I assume I am doing something wrong??? Thanks for the thread link Nitro, I will try the suggestions there.

I run WinXP S3
2.66 G dual core
up to 1.7 G NVIDIA 9600GT
4 G DDR 2 ram

so I shouldnt have card or processor probs should I??

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 9 21-03-2010 , 11:22 PM
bullet,

1. make a new scene
2. make a poly cube and select it
3. press ctrl-a and then select the mesh smooth tab
4. now with the cube still selected press the page up and page down button
5. you should see the sub division level (which by default should be 2) increase or decrease as you press the page up and down buttons

If you are not then something is wrong. If you are and things are still not smoothing then you have something wrong. If the subdivision level number goes up and down and you are getting error messages then ...you guessed it something is wrong.

But for all the time we are spending jumping through flaming dagger hoops you could have uninstalled and reinstalled maya about 5 times now. lol

If it still does not work with a clean install of maya then you have a os issue, gfx card issue, virus issue, driver issue, or your machine is just cursed.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 21-03-2010 at 11:25 PM.
# 10 22-03-2010 , 12:15 AM
Lifetime Member
Ok ctbram,

the sub levels do go up and down when I open the smooth mesh tab with p-up/down but only when I hit the slider in exponential controls, is this correct??? but 1,2,3 still dont work, looks like a clean?

Addenda: it will only work when I actually touch the slider bar and get it to highlight, otherwise p-up/down doesnt affect it, when I highlight the slider the divs will go up and down affecting the mesh. 1,2,3 still doesnt work, I have no virus that I know of N360 is pretty good in that regard. I have had LOTS of trouble with NVIDIA before but only on certain games and all my other Survey CAD works fine with topo's. You could be right ctbram, uninstall AGAIN bwahahahahahahaha, thtas a cry/sob/suicide note. (jokes) user added image

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 22-03-2010 at 12:25 AM.
# 11 22-03-2010 , 12:39 AM
"slider in exponential controls"??? Maybe it is because we have different versions but I have no idea what you are referring too.

Once again I have used every version of maya since version 3.0 and you simply press 1 2 or 3 NOTHING ELSE! No sliders, no anything. I am not awhere of any way to change this behavior even on accident!

So I really don't know what more to suggest. If it were me I'd wipe maya, clean all remanence of it from your machine, and reinstall and before you do ANYTHING, before you hit any control or alt or ANY keys what so ever, before you touch any sliders -

create a poly cube and press the 3 key if it does not smooth then you have something other then a Maya problem to figure out.

# 12 22-03-2010 , 03:35 AM
Yeah, I don't quite understand what you're adjusting.

1. make a new scene
2. make a poly cube and select it
3. hit the 3 key.

If it says the smooth operation occurred in the cmd line but the cube still isn't smoothed, then try hitting the page up key. Just remember the object has to be selected for the smooth or iteration adjustment to occur.

Aside from that...no idea what the issue would be. What version of maya? Can you post a screen shot of what you're fiddling with (sliders, etc)?

# 13 22-03-2010 , 04:56 AM
Lifetime Member
Hi guys,

forgive the stupid questions, Im sorry for my inabilty to figure this one out. I have tried the page up/down nitro, it doesnt work, yes I have the mesh active. I can only find mesh options up top in the mesh tab, none in the editor in pshape. I have expanded all of them and cant find anything.

I am running Maya 8 Nitro, here are the screen shots, the divisions with the p-up/down keys only move WHEN I make the slider active. I am probably a nincompoop but this has got me stuffed. IF I am doing or looking in the wrong place I sincerely apologise (at the moment I feel like a child). Otherwise I will go with ctbrams and reinstall, clean the lot out, registry too I suppose?

cheers bullet

https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/40906...error?h=649918

bullet1968

# 14 22-03-2010 , 06:46 AM
Lifetime Member
Nitro,

it works with subdivisions only, I assume I have made a complete idiot of myself??

bullet1968

# 15 22-03-2010 , 12:09 PM
Lifetime Member
no luck, did the reinstall, oh well, I will have to live with it. Thank you to all who tried to help this poor soul.

bullet1968