Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 12-06-2007 , 04:50 PM

Dog Tutorial Help

I'm new to using Maya and I'm kinda confused on some things. When Kurt starts the tut, he has modeling selected under the menu, but on mine, that option isn't available. Is it because I have a different version?

Another thing that confuses me is when Kurt first creates his nurb, it simply appears on the grid below, but for me I have to place it on the grid myself so it's not exactly centered.

I'm new to all this and trying to teach myself so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

# 2 12-06-2007 , 04:55 PM
Subscriber
no there should be a place that says animation or rendering or modeling ..it is in a box ..you need to hit the drop down arrow and pick modeling and you should be good to go

as far as the other question i would have to see a pic to help more

# 3 13-06-2007 , 12:08 AM
Jr.Who

Re: Dog Tutorial Help

Originally posted by artistmmp
I'm new to using Maya and I'm kinda confused on some things. When Kurt starts the tut, he has modeling selected under the menu, but on mine, that option isn't available. Is it because I have a different version?

Yes, it's because you have a new version. When they (Autodesk) made the switch over to Maya 8 they redesigned the interface a bit. Instead of a "Modeling" tab, it's been split up into "Polygons" and "Surfaces" (NURBS). After a while you'll get used to it.

Originally posted by artistmmp
Another thing that confuses me is when Kurt first creates his nurb, it simply appears on the grid below, but for me I have to place it on the grid myself so it's not exactly centered.

I'm new to all this and trying to teach myself so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I know what you're talking about. When I do it, I just place it, then go into the channel box (I think that's what it's called, it's too early in the morning for meÉ :zzz: ), and put the x, y, and z to 0.
user added image

# 4 13-06-2007 , 12:23 AM
in the create menu (in both the nurbs and the Polys menus, uncheck "interactive Creation" that way when you make the object it appears in the grid with all the default settings.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 13-06-2007 , 12:25 AM
Subscriber
hahha i feel dumb i was thinking of version 7 hahha ...

gster i been looking on how to fix that so it doesnt say drag
it ..i hate that option

# 6 13-06-2007 , 12:48 PM
Thank you for all the helpful comments everyone.