Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 16-02-2011 , 03:01 AM

3D Text in Maya 10

Hi all,

I'm trying to create 3D text in Maya 10, I know about the create>text, to get text in to first place but i want to round it off completely not just bevel it. But i don't know how to do it. I have tried simply clicking Mesh>Smooth, but it goes funny and doesn't look like the text any more, so i was wondering if you had any ideas?

Please Help if you can

Thanks
Ben

user added imageuser added imageuser added imageuser added imageuser added imageuser added imageuser added imageuser added image:h elp:user added imageuser added imageuser added imageuser added imageuser added image

# 2 17-02-2011 , 03:20 AM
Subscriber
I think what might help is if you create the text using the polygon option set to quad instead of triangles. Then go in and delete the history on them so they're no longer associated with the control curves that maya used to create it. Next I would merge all the individual characters together into a single mesh (just so they're easier to deal with) and extrude to get depth. Then you can smooth away and it will round everything off.

Oh and before you do extrude you may have to adjust your topology a bit to make sure you get rid of any stray three sided and five sides polygons to get a nice clean smoothing effect. If you don't you'll get weird bends and waves in it.

There may be other simpler options but this might be a good starting point for something you're already familiar with.

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 3 17-02-2011 , 04:38 AM
Lifetime Member
Very fiddly whichever you do mate...rather painful...why not just bevel and increase the bevel segments and muck around with the offset???

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes