Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 01-04-2012 , 06:43 AM
Subscriber

Texture Mapping on wavy surface

Hi There user added image

I have a question. I have modelled a skirt with kind of "clown collar" around the top so it folds over and under itself. I want to texture it to have like a floral texture on it - how can I project my texture onto these folds so that it is seamless all the way around without having the "streaking" effect?? Is it something I have to do as part of the UV mapping?

Thanks for any help user added image user added image

Emms.

Emms
# 2 01-04-2012 , 08:01 AM
The thin red line
You cannot have it seam less all the way round you will at least have 1, could you show a picture of the mesh with wires.............dave

# 3 01-04-2012 , 10:59 AM
Subscriber

You cannot have it seam less all the way round you will at least have 1, could you show a picture of the mesh with wires.............dave

Yeah, I understand about the having at least one seam - I might end up with more - but see how the folds go over each other, how do I get a texture to map around that properly without distortion.

user added image

Emms
# 4 01-04-2012 , 11:36 AM
The thin red line
I would use road kill(free) or the UV plugin(free) that Jay has talked about (I will see if I can find the link). In road kill upload the mesh and cut a seam at the back(where you least see it) then back to maya and use unfold this should give a good starting place............dave

Link to autodesk UV plugin:https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/steve...unwrapping_uvs

Last edited by daverave; 01-04-2012 at 12:53 PM.
# 5 01-04-2012 , 03:39 PM
You can also unfold it in maya. just pin one end first and unfold

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 6 01-04-2012 , 04:39 PM
Super Moderator
Plus the mesh is rather dense for what it is, that would make UV tweaking a bit more of a hassle that necessary.

- Genny