Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 18-04-2004 , 05:57 AM

help with render/animation

ok, this is probably a stupid question but can someone tell me how to watch an animation rendered instead of wireframe? I made the ring of fire from one of the tutorials and as its my first try at maya i have no idea what im doing. So, i can render a frame of it...but i want to watch it rendered, could you help me out?
thanks

"The Dark Wind Howls."
-Magus

# 2 18-04-2004 , 07:33 AM
Subscriber
i think you have to batch render it (in your render menu: render>batch render) . Then you can watch your animation in Fcheck (start>aliaswavefronte>maya4.5>Fcheck).

Good luck

# 3 18-04-2004 , 07:43 AM
Subscriber
oh yeah, in your render globals you have to set which frames you want to render. In render globals, under "Frame/Animatiion ext", you have to pick one of the last 4 options. After that you are able to set your start en end frame. I think alot of people render to the image format targa, but im not sure about that.
You also might wanna alter the default resolution and the anti-aliasing. Both can be done in your render globals.

tiz

# 4 18-04-2004 , 06:05 PM

complete newbie here!

umm, im using the personal learning edition of Maya..dunno if that has restrictions on rendering.....But i tried doing the batch render and then opening it in Fcheck but it showed nothing......and im currently trying to get the global render settings to do it as you said tiz, but im not certain where to go after i set the frame start and end. Is there a place to export it or can i render the specified frames within Maya?
thanks much

"The Black Wind Howls

# 5 18-04-2004 , 07:18 PM
# 6 18-04-2004 , 07:54 PM
Subscriber
"Is there a place to export it or can i render the specified frames within Maya?"

well, uhm... you could batch render every frame seperately and then import them into director or something, but i don't think you would want that. user added image im not sure what your doing wrong.
after you have set your start and end frame and after you have rendered, there should be no problem with opening your animation in fcheck. in fcheck all you have to do is go to file>open animation, browse to the place you rendered all your frames to, open the first frame and thats it. i dont know if the fact you have the personal learning edition has anything to with it. btw, are you able to open a single rendered frame in fcheck?

tiz

# 7 19-04-2004 , 02:33 AM
no, so far the only thing outside of Maya that ive opened a rendered image in is Quicktime. But wait! I think i got it working now.....weird....
Well, one more question than. How long would you say it should take it to render a 500 frame movie pretty much exactly like the "ring of fire" tutorial....cause its taking it about 15 minutes just to do 100 frames....
Thanks for humoring my beginner ignorance user added image .

"The Black Wind Howls."
-Magus

Last edited by Dark Eternal; 19-04-2004 at 02:55 AM.
# 8 19-04-2004 , 06:49 AM
Subscriber
it all depends on your scene. heavy scenes take longer to render. i cant really make an estimation for you.
but then again if you have an animation similar to the ring of fire and if that one takes 15 minutes for 100 frames, then the 500 frame animation should take about 75 minutes. i guess.
good luck.

tiz