Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 22-09-2002 , 10:29 AM

cracks

hey dudes,
a typical problem.what are the general steps i should follow now.rebuild,delete history,reparematrize ???...i just want to get this problem out of my system.in a dedline scenario i would render as is(convertong/modelling to su-d is not the point here)and paint those friggin cracks out...there has to be ways in maya i reckon.
b

# 2 22-09-2002 , 10:31 AM

heres the mb

file
b

# 3 24-09-2002 , 06:21 AM
Subscriber

Tesselation

Looks like the render-tesselation is far too low...increase it, and show what happens

# 4 24-09-2002 , 06:43 PM

no go...:(

bullet,
thanks i didnt know about that...but still tough shit for me.
mannn i'm stumped user added image
heres the file an the image.
b

# 5 24-09-2002 , 06:47 PM

here goes...
b
bam,bam,bam,bam another one bites the user added image aaannnd another one user added image another one user added image ...hehe just vening there.

# 6 19-10-2002 , 12:56 PM

re cracks....

Hi there,

Nurbs can be fun, but as you have found they can be quite painful too.

to fix you cracks at the seams (this goes for any type of seam using two or more nurbs objects eg. blend fillet, stitch, etc...).

select the offending objects (object mode not component mode),
Open your 'Attribute Spread sheet under Window>General Editors>Attribute Spread sheet.

With both/all your objects still selected find the tab in the attribute spread sheet called 'Render'.

Under this tab turn off double sided.(renders only the faces seen by the camera speeding up the renders)

Now for the cracks. Under the tesselation tab turn on 'Explicit tesselation attributes (select the field for all objects with curser and enter YES.

Scroll along until you get to U and V division factor (these can be set to the lowest factor/amount that renders smoothly for you). The Attribute that will fix the crack is called 'Smooth Edge', type in On as per previous step with Explicit attributes.

Also for binding the geometry to skeleton you could copy your nurbs mesh and tesselate the copy to the lowest possible amount that still keeps the shape and convert it to a poly model. From there you could create a wrap deformer that 'Wraps' the poly around the Nurbs surfaces (holding them essentially together like a lattice), then bind the poly to a skeleton.

In the online docs this type of binding is refered to as 'Wrap' binding and is a common way to get nurbs to behave well in animation.

SubD (or fake SubD) are popular methods for modeling now because they are easy to manipulate like poly's but render smooth (at render time) like nurbs. Also, people often convert nurbs to poly's, then to SubD as there model progresses along because each technique has its own value at different times along the process of creating a finished object.

Hope this helps

re jim

Mayan elder......only in years.....

Last edited by Jim; 19-10-2002 at 01:01 PM.
# 7 19-10-2002 , 01:56 PM
Subscriber
Increase tesselation to 6+

You could tesselate to 20, but that becomes a memory hog when rendering.

Or perhaps a tesselation-setting of 4 will do it?!?

What is your present tesselation setting???

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 8 19-10-2002 , 06:02 PM

thanks

hey thanks dudes,
very informative.i was just seeing weather maya had rhino type capabilities...or rather could it handel nurbs the way rhino does.
absoloutely not !!!.it takes like 2 minuites to set that kind of a thing in rhino...absolute no brainer.since the alias guys harp so much on on their nurbs tecnology i trieed it out.and as a individual artist i dont need to hassel myself with thease kind of things...i know by your replies that there are ways to go around nickeling buuut i think i'll stick to converting nurbs>polies>subd's.
and finally mental ray is free for us mayans so i can concentrate more on the lighting aspect and try to hide/show what i cant/want to model user added image
again thanx a lot...very helpful replies.
b

# 9 20-10-2002 , 07:02 AM

Re: thanks

Originally posted by boomji
i was just seeing weather maya had rhino type capabilities...or rather could it handel nurbs the way rhino does.
absoloutely not !!!.it takes like 2 minuites to set that kind of a thing in rhino...

Hmm, let me see ... Rhino or Maya ... hmm, tic toc tic toc ... no way, this oneĀ“s a no-brainer. Maya all the way. Just gotta get used to it.

# 10 18-11-2002 , 09:49 PM
Subscriber
Rhino is a fast modeler but I wouldnt want to just use rhino. Maya kicks buttuser added image

Never Do Today What You Can Put Off Till Tomorrow..
My New Site MayaFx.com
# 11 06-12-2002 , 05:56 PM

Edit Curve 1.6

Hi man !
I 'm looking for Edit Curve 1.6
It's a Plugin , I think this Plug is very interesting

Thanks

Peace

(C) Pooky-Style Productions, Inc.

# 12 19-12-2002 , 09:10 AM
Yes, discusting problem,
Solution: