Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 08-04-2008 , 09:42 AM

exporting issues!!

Im trying to export a maya model with composite geometries (polygons and nurbs) to a .dwg/ rhino compatible interface. With *iges, I cannot do polygons and with *obj or *dxf I end up triangulating the polygonal grid and it wont do nurbs....
Im trying to use the new export plugin released by autodesk https://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/maya_export_dwg/
This should convert maya files to dwg files... But it doesnt seem to work . I get a very small file size 23kb and it wont show anything in AutoCAD.
I did also try to export into illustrator but run into viewport issues here....
Let me know if theres any way to export the file to rhino or AutoCAD
thanks!!
sarosh
:headbang:
:headbang: :headbang:
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

# 2 08-04-2008 , 10:13 AM
Senior Software Developer

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 08-04-2008 , 10:35 AM
Thats awesome thanks R@nsid but I still get a kind of triangulation of the mesh... (this is typically when the same polygon mesh changes smoothing attributes - so all of those polyons get triangulated)
even so this works better than dxf or iges
sarosh