Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 03-03-2004 , 12:55 AM
Subscriber

March / April - rich - newbie

OK, Stonehenge will be my theme.... I'm toying with the idea of showing Stonehenge as as a focal point for the passing of intelligence from aliens to the evolving human race. Whether I could possibly realize such a grandiose vision is highly debatable but a shot at it I will take. Heck, I may even include a black monolith a-la 2001 Space Odessey!

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 2 09-03-2004 , 01:04 PM
Subscriber
I've decided my concept and modeling is underway, I'll post some pix tonight. Conceptually here's what I'm shooting at:

Image will consist of Stonehenge over which will hover some sort of alien spacecraft. Gathered around Stonehenge will be a crowd of Druids, at the center of stonehenge will exist the aforementioned black monolith and kneeling in front of the monolith a single druid. The space craft will be emitting some form of 'beam of knowledge' into the monolith which will then be emitting that beam to all the druids in the scene.

I suspect that this will work better as an animation and so, I will shoot for that.

# 3 09-03-2004 , 02:56 PM
Cool, I can see the array in my head!

Lungs not guns....
# 4 11-03-2004 , 11:42 PM
Subscriber
Yikes... is it already the 12th! Time to get busy...! user added image

Here's a first quickie render of the stonehenge model with a small fire.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by rich; 11-03-2004 at 11:53 PM.
# 5 11-03-2004 , 11:45 PM
Subscriber
And a close up.

Attached Thumbnails

# 6 11-03-2004 , 11:45 PM
Subscriber
I really dont have any idea what I'm doing with the PaintFX... to be honest I was just assing around. I will need a fire there illuminating the scene so if you have any ideas how to improve this, I'd be grateful.

It's all rather basic right now, the stones are too perfect, the bump is not set up correctly and so it stretches badly. The ground plane still has only the default Lambert shader. The logs (or as my wife described them: cinnamon sticks) look ok, so I'll leave them as they are as I am not planning on getting much closer to them than this.

There is a point light sitting in the middle of the fire, but I would like to decay the light at a point that I decide, is this possible?

Last edited by rich; 11-03-2004 at 11:50 PM.
# 7 12-03-2004 , 12:05 AM
The Maya Mountain
In the light's attributes, you can set decay properties. The intensity of the light will probably need to be increased with decay present.

Fire is neat, but if you're shooting for the "bonus" aspect of this challenge, remember that it'd need to be a particle effect or a fluid effect (if a fluid or particle pre-set is used, it probably won't really count much toward judging in the end.).

Looking forward to more!

# 8 12-03-2004 , 01:05 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the idea on the light decay... that's pretty much what I thought... I'll start hacking at it.

As for the "bonus" that will be taken care of much much later... for now, I want to use 'fire' and 'moonlight' to light the scene as much as possible as, within the context of my concept, these are the only light sources available.