Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 21-12-2002 , 02:27 AM
Subscriber

Maya in Win98?

Hi, I'm new to Maya and the world of 3d graphics. I was checking the Maya site and it says that the versions of Maya on their website require Win XP, 2000, NT etc etc. What I was wondering is is there a version of Maya which will work on the Windows 98 OS? Perhaps an older version of Maya which I could pick up a bit cheaper to learn the ropes with? If not, what would be the best OS to move up to? I've heard XP is quite good.

Thanks, and hopefully I'll be around this newbie forum for a while once I get it up and going, asking alot of seemingly easy questions user added image

# 2 21-12-2002 , 02:30 AM
Subscriber
Maya as I know has and never will run on 95/98/me

You need NT techology XP pro is great. NOT XP HOME

Never Do Today What You Can Put Off Till Tomorrow..
My New Site MayaFx.com
# 3 21-12-2002 , 07:12 AM
Subscriber
Why not XP home? I'm just on a simple home PC, is there a major problem with it? Will Maya not run on it? Explain please !

# 4 21-12-2002 , 09:27 AM
Subscriber
I don't think that it will not run on Winxp home, but Winxp Pro are the best and are more solid than Home edition, as the name says they are designed for the pros.And Professional People need the est thing around.

Ioannis KarAvas
# 5 21-12-2002 , 11:26 AM
lol thats funny i use xp home edition and it works fine.... you will not see any diffrence between using maya on xp pro or xp home edition and home edition is alot cheaper

I HATE NURBS
<a href="//www.brink-x.com">www.brink-x.com</a>
# 6 21-12-2002 , 01:55 PM
Subscriber
It may run on XP home But it is not designed to run on it. I have heard alot of people complaining they cant get it to run correctly on XP home. The upgrade to pro is only about $100-$150.

I would upgrade.

My New Site MayaFx.com
# 7 21-12-2002 , 05:48 PM
I have Maya 4.0 Unlimited in XP HOME...it's run fine.

I suggest you get Maya: Personal Learning Edition (PLE). You can download it for free from www.aliaswavefront.com or get it from a 3d magazine (3D World/Computer Arts) or a computer magazine (like PC Formate).

I dont know if it will work on Win98, but it's free, so you can only try. user added image

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 8 21-12-2002 , 06:14 PM
Subscriber
Hi, thankyou for all the comments. I have decided to go with windows 2000 professional however, mainly for the spec's it requires, my PC is no speed freak user added image And I'll check out that PLE, so it is available to download right now? I checked the site and just saw a little blurb saying it is available in January.

# 9 21-12-2002 , 06:32 PM
Subscriber
I have win 2k on 1 of my systems and it is a great choice. Very Very stableuser added image

My New Site MayaFx.com
# 10 23-12-2002 , 01:49 AM
In January you can download Maya 4.5 PLE. Maya 4.0 PLE has been out for a while user added image

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 11 23-12-2002 , 10:01 AM
WINDOWS NT 4.0 ROCKS!

I HATE NURBS
<a href="//www.brink-x.com">www.brink-x.com</a>