Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 19-03-2008 , 09:58 AM

fluid texture collision

Does any one know if it is possible to make a fluid in a 2d fluid container interact with texture? What I want en mean by this is the following:

I have a movie of a dancing person shot against a green screen en turned it into a tiff sequence that is just a black and white silhouette of the dancing person. (just like what an alpha channel would look like, but now this look is the output I want)
I hope it is possible to make a fluid in a 2 d container collide with the image seqeunce of the dancing person. Just have no idea how to do it or if it is possible.

Had the idea to change the idea to use the texture as a field of height and then make it collide ,but I didn’t get very far with that

Any help very much appreciated
Denkertje

# 2 19-03-2008 , 11:39 AM
Subscriber
Not sure if that is possible, but you can use primitives as collision objects with fluids, haven't got maya open at mo so can't be more useful I'm afraid but I'm pretty sure under the fluid effects menu there will be stuff about collisions, similar to particle ones. You could use rough primitive as collisions and turn the visibilty off on them.

Chris

# 3 19-03-2008 , 01:48 PM

i hope for a better solution

Tried that, and it works , okay. Just hoped I would find a better way to do it. Have the feeling there most be a way for the fluid to 'realize' it cant enter the black part of an image

Thanks for the help anyway

Denkertje

# 4 19-03-2008 , 02:41 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
I'm not a fluid expert, but i know that you can influence fluids with particles and you can adjust the shape/size life and death of a particle with a texture.
For instance white equals particle life and black death so there will be particles in the white spots which in turn collide with the fluid.
But i'm afraid i don't know anymore about it than this....

# 5 19-03-2008 , 02:47 PM
Thank Mastone

Somebode just mailt me this solution that is a bit simulair and seems to work great.

Hi Denkertje. Interesting idea and possible to do so. The principle involves emitting particles based on your texture and having those particle emit force which can alter the fluids. Here is a brief step list.
1. Emit (slow and short-lived) particles from your dancing person based on the texture (assigned to a poly plane presumably)
2. Create the 2d fluid texture, use paint fluids tool to add some density and set gravity to 0
3. Drop a newton field on the fluid. Select the particles, then the field and from the field menu, click Use Selected as Source of Field. Turn on Special Effect - Use per vertex in the field. With this, each particle can emit a newton field and each particle appears from the texture.
4. In the field, enable Max Distance and increase the magnitude and tweak the attenuation as desired.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Denkertje