Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 21-05-2009 , 12:31 PM
The Maya Mountain

Final Spaceship Challenge Entries!

In this thread, post your final entries by the deadline (June 1st)! Try to keep your image resolutions at a reasonable size. Also, try to keep general comments out of this thread and let's keep this thread purely the entries themselves. If you'd like to comment on someone's entry, please do so at their original thread. Good luck, everybody!

# 2 21-05-2009 , 01:37 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

# 3 21-05-2009 , 01:39 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
sorry I dont think that worked

Attached Thumbnails

# 4 29-05-2009 , 03:32 AM
Subscriber
Well there isn't anything else i can do with this and other work is piling up so I'm calling it done!
I present the 'Shiva's space mining station'. They suck the energy from the asteroid and use it to power their fleets.
Great Challenge Mike, And some great entries too. Good to see people getting enthusiastic.
Good luck all user added image

Big Link
https://someguy47.deviantart.com/art/...roid-123642630
Please look at this one, it is much better.

Attached Thumbnails

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge

Last edited by Some Guy; 29-05-2009 at 03:34 AM.

# 5 29-05-2009 , 02:39 PM
Subscriber
I think I`m done (a little sad now)

O.M.E.N - Human - Death Ship.

"When they attacked - we were not ready.

But now they run.

The first thing we did was wipe out there home world and with that new technology we now make sure the rest of space stays in line. None dare to cross us now, none can remember there name, but all remember what we did and what we will do. If you see a OMEN prey to your god - as its time for you to go to hell." Cap Lt Morgan (EBS OMEN)

Armed with 12 planet bombs this ship goes in to battle to finish the job. ! bomb can kill a planet if not completely blowing it to bits. Although not a fighting ship it has enough fire power on board to hold off any resistance - but once the payload is deployed jumps away to safety.

https://www.ravage3d.com/images/sship/spaceship8_2.jpg

https://www.ravage3d.com/images/sship...inal_Small.jpg

Good luck to all - some lovely work out there so far.

1.7 million polys
14 textures maps
9 Different scene files
38 Photoshop layers
3 Trips to hospital
56 Stitches
1 understanding girlfriend
100s of supportive posts in my thread
1 Finished image

1 Very happy Maya user

Last edited by tweetytunes; 29-05-2009 at 03:13 PM.

# 6 29-05-2009 , 11:15 PM
Subscriber
just so you know, i haven't depicted it here but hundreds of ships can link up to each other giving that swam-like behaviour suggested in Mike's description

Seeing as how I have no clue how to actually make a space ship look like a spaceship with all those random plates, wires, and tubes and no one knows what it is that i've done I think I need to explain how this fits into the challenge theme...

https://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._4727452_n.jpg

full picture:
https://chirone-of-chiron.deviantart....ship-124165554

The UNITY
A race of powerful telekinetic beings who can “plug in” to specially built spacecrafts as an extension of their body. If multiple being’s minds resonate then they become more powerful and efficient at whatever task they are to carry out.

The Centre Ship
The pilot of the Centre Ship links with fellow Wing Ships. The number of Wing Ships one can link with depends on how well the pilot can keep a link alive with fellow Wing Ship pilots.
This ship is capable of generating shields as without joint Wing Ships it is defenceless in any direction other than the front where three blades and (for lack of a better name) six beam rifles reside. The stronger the pilot’s telekinetic powers and the deeper their connection with the ship the stronger the offense and defence capabilities. Most pilots cannot concentrate on both a defensive shield and attack simultaneously.

The Wing Ship
The pilot of the Wing Ship needs only concentrate on operating the four sword-like armaments when united with a pilot of a Centre Ship.

UNITY CANNON
When united, the Centre Ship can utilize the true power of UNITY in the destructive form known as the UNITY CANNON. This weapon is a type of charged particle cannon where the power is made up of the resonance between the minds of the pilots. Whilst pilots can utilize this weapon unaided, they must unite with Wing Ship pilots to withstand the kickback and risk of death. Unity Ships are generally vulnerable from anywhere other than at front when using this weapon.

It has been known for a single pilot of a Centre Ship to link with up to twelve Wing Ships or other Centre Ships creating an even more powerful UNITY CANNON.

79,480 triangles,
40 materials,
38 textures,
45 lights (3 main lights, the rest are pretty dim and exist because of the lightning)
and hours of trying to figure out what the caption is...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D

Last edited by Chirone; 30-05-2009 at 02:44 AM.

# 7 31-05-2009 , 09:51 PM
Subscriber
Good evening everyone! I am posting the final render to my Project 'Spaceship Challenge: Earthling Millennium Falcon'. I certainly thank Mike and Dave for the opportunity to do such a project.I believe that it is the first time for many, if not all, of us to model a spaceship, I know I hadn't done one before. I have said way too often how fun this was, so won't say it this time. "IT WAS FUN!" Sorry! :-)

The sharing of our projects was another highlight and seeing such a variety of ideas and approaches to their projects. And the quality in this has been really exceptional! I will shut up now, and post my render and truly hope that everyone likes it. And as Chirone had requested, nobody has checked this but me, so some colors may be off, and I apologize if the are.

As I have mentioned in my thread, that one evening, while out for a smoke, 2 weeks into this project I had a thought that made me laugh. It was to have the Falcon on a key chain. When the first Star wars came out there were a lot of people that had it just like this. Maybe that is why the idea came to me. I could not get it out of my mind.

Nothing was done in Post, so there were no render layers. All was composed in the renderer itself, and what you see was what rendered. I try very hard to compose in the renderer as much as I can, rather than composite in post.

Shader Maps - 4096X4096: 32
Shader Maps - 2048X2048: 12
Shader total: 49
Poly count unsmoothed: 717,636 faces
Primitives when rendered: 13,748,294 (it is only smoothed when rendered, and this is the way the renderer calculates it.)
Memeroy Used for render: 4,024.4M
Total Render Time: 1hr 49m 55.8s

And if anyone should care to see a less compressed version, I have posted up one at my Photobucket:

https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...obucketPNG.png

Attached Thumbnails

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).

# 8 31-05-2009 , 10:20 PM
Woh this was so close, really rushed this user added image but ah well, learn from my mistakes, sorry about the low resloution, my computer could'nt take much more.

Attached Thumbnails

# 9 31-05-2009 , 10:25 PM
Well it's that time and here's my finished pic,
I went for a sort of comic/graphic novel look, with a bit of influence from the opening scene in Revenge of the Sith, the image is called "Battle for the Grubb Homeworld"
I wanted a lot of carnage and it to be as bold as possible, tried my best and I hope everyone likes it.
Best of luck to everyone else!

Link to bigger and better version!

Attached Thumbnails

# 10 31-05-2009 , 10:40 PM
Subscriber
here it is. Sory everyone for my mess today

Attached Thumbnails

# 11 31-05-2009 , 11:28 PM
Subscriber
Here is my ship.
Everyone is making a composition but I have only the ship.
I post 3 views (I think is allowed).

Last edited by taquion; 31-05-2009 at 11:48 PM.

# 12 01-06-2009 , 12:00 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by taquion

Attached Thumbnails

# 13 01-06-2009 , 12:04 AM
Subscriber

Attached Thumbnails

# 14 01-06-2009 , 10:33 AM
Subscriber

Attached Thumbnails