Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 19-09-2009 , 10:42 PM
Subscriber

Interior design

I just thought i`d give interior modeling a try,and comments would be appreciated

Thanx user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 19-09-2009 , 11:38 PM
Super Moderator
Nice start. I always love a crisp interior render user added image. I'll be watching.

- Genny
# 3 20-09-2009 , 12:10 AM
Simply Maya OG
The rug in the center of the room looks abit thick, but other than that, looks pretty good so far. Looking fowards to texturing!

- Hybrid
# 4 20-09-2009 , 09:37 AM
Subscriber

Added a bit

Ok i`ve added a bit more objects and fixed the carpet,i will start texturing as soon as all detail is done.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 20-09-2009 , 04:14 PM
Subscriber
Nice job. Looking good.

# 6 20-09-2009 , 06:38 PM
Subscriber
ok i started the lighting a bit,can anyone help me out?

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 20-09-2009 , 08:13 PM
Subscriber
ok it looking a bit better...does anyone know of a better colour i could make the couches?

thanxuser added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 21-09-2009 , 03:25 AM
Super Moderator
The previous render looked better. This last one has very large overexposed areas and little to no shadowing, What kind of lighting are you using and what renderer are you using? And are you going for natural or artificial light? Green couches can work but that depends on what the rest of the color scheme is like.

- Genny
# 9 21-09-2009 , 05:57 AM
Subscriber
thanx,i attached a picture with ,ore shadows,and i`m using point lights and metal ray...and would like to try for a realistic look.

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 21-09-2009 , 10:31 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
google interior lighting theres a bunch of simple tutorials out there plus since this wont be an animation(im assuming) check into final gather and global illumination and mia X materials since mental ray is your weapon of choice

or you could use physical sun and sky

# 11 21-09-2009 , 06:47 PM

bedroom modelling

My teach used to not let us start texturing till we had plenty of references, light, textures for fabrics etc.

i think your model is for a good start and what you may want to look at now is a camera angle - do you want it to look like a brochure or do want to give it a mood. Think what time of day it is and illumate appropriately - there are tonns of great books out there on lighting, and just from observation the lighting maybe excessive with using a fill light - this part is the fun part, sit with a bunch of ref images to how light fills a room and then mimic those lights, render those lights only and then you get a real sense as to what light does what (keep them on layers so you can switch them on and off. you could create some great shadows from a window what ever time of day it is. Use some softer bounce light. Theres never any harm in ditching the one that won't work and start again, light on light. Check on each render what each light is doing so that you don't end up with an over-exposed render. I dont think that lighting can be done very quickly, to get a really good photorealistic feel will need more understanding on what your light sources are in the room. I would avoid coloring or texturing anything yet- till you have your lighting, becuase that can throw everything off. A quick easy way to do the lighting like this, would be to take one of your renders, the one you like the best or even the original one. Take it into photo shop and try and do a few lighitng passes on your scene, its so much quicker that doing it in maya. you can change saturation, intensity all sorts and then this give you a basic to start with to mimic in Maya.

# 12 21-09-2009 , 09:50 PM
Subscriber
try to light before you start texturing. Here is a old scene that i did that I lit before texturing to get it right. Still need to texture it by the way LOL.

Attached Thumbnails
# 13 23-09-2009 , 05:43 AM

Good Interior

that good interior render

sokly
# 14 30-09-2009 , 02:05 AM
looks cool - nice placement of the furniture - it actually looks a little lived in - rather than everything being in exactly the right place.

the lighting and textures definitely need some work tho - really need to add some bump, spec and dirt maps to start getting it to look real. i'd have to disagree with banksta tho - i'd get the textures started before concentrating on lighting, but that's just me - there are never any hard and fast rules.

btw, banksta - nice scene - get moving on those textures!

Last edited by arran; 30-09-2009 at 02:08 AM.