Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 09-10-2005 , 06:44 PM
Subscriber

Subd -> Polygon questions

Hi their all,
I have a questions that I came accross while modeling a human foot. I am sort of using the same method as creating a hand by using subdivision and switching between standard mode and poly proxy mode. My goal is to keep the polygons low enough so that when I convert back to polygons, it matches the amount vertices to my character's leg. Another reason why I want to set the polygons to be low enough is because I still have some work to do on the body area and having too many vertices just make things more complicated.

The problem though is when I choose vertices in the subdiv to polygon option box, and select a level greater than 0, the ankle area creates more vertices then leg. However, setting the level to 0, I then loose the creases that I made.

So I wanted to know how do you get the crease to show up when you convert back to polygons without increasing the level detail?

# 2 09-10-2005 , 07:54 PM
Subscriber
As far as I know, you can't. When you convert from sub-d's to polys you lose your creases, but you can work in poly proxy mode with sub-d's, just right click on the sub-d and select "Polygon" (I think it's called polygon). It might slow down your computer a bit on heavy meshes though.

A little tip: if you don't want the sub-d's wire to show when you're working in poly proxy (I know I don't), just selext the Split Poly Tool, and the only thing left is the poly wire...

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 3 09-10-2005 , 09:33 PM
Subscriber
ok, thanks
Though I wasn't talking about the command "full crease" or "partial crease". That was my bad in explaining and I apologize for that.

Anywho, what I was talking about was after moving the vertices myself to create a sort of looking like crease, it wouldn't show up after converting. However, silly me, I think the problem was that I wasn't moving the correct vertices that get exported in the conversion. I am going to retry and see if I get it right this time and I will let you guys know if this was the case.