Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 10-10-2005 , 11:16 PM

Should i dropout of university for a 3d school?

HI,

Am studying electrical engineering in a university. And am not happy with that because am not doing want i want to and am just 18yrs old and i don't want to waste my life.

I want to be an animator but i need some advice whether i should leave school and focus on animator or finish school and do animation later. i will also like to know if most of the guys in the industry went to a school to learn 3d or they just read books and pratice. Please help me am really confused.

give to life want you want from it.
# 2 11-10-2005 , 12:21 AM
i thought i'd give my opinion on the matter since a few years ago...i myself was an 18 year old university student studying (what else) electrical engineering..i really didn't like it but i continued for a while only to lose not only time but also a lot of money...now..i didn't know i wanted to go into 3d at the time but i knew i didn't want to be an engineer...if you really don't see yourself being an engineer you shouldn't continue (in my opinion of course)....you can't force yourself to do something for the rest of your life...or you simply won't be happy......
as for 3d animation.....how long have you been into 3d?...before investing a lot of money by going to some VERY expensive school (and trust me..they are pretty pricey)...I would make SURE 3d is for you..it's not for everyone.....play around with it..try some tutorials..books..etc...then i would recommend going to school...and that's ur first step to getting into the industry....(i'm in my final months at school so i can't tell you much more than that..but from what i've seen...it's a good idea to go to school and learn 3d rather than learning it on your own)..anyways..that's my opinion.....good luck with your decision and future actions

# 3 11-10-2005 , 07:21 PM
I'm a Physics major and I like it -- so think long and hard about what you'll do. If you don't like it -- don't waste money doing it... but you need to make sure you won't kick your own arse later.

# 4 12-10-2005 , 09:23 AM
to CG or not to CG????

Try and see if you are good at it but dont quit the school yet...then do cople of works post them here and we will judge your destiny...hahahahah(thunder in the background) :-)

lol, yes play around with CG,participate on forums and maybe you'll see that CG collage is unnecessary cuz you got skills already...........good luck

# 5 13-10-2005 , 06:29 AM
Or buy McKinley's book? <kidding!> (Speaking of which, not a dang bookstore in my city has it... but the company supplying it does. Maybe I can order it from them... would do it over the internet but -- yea -- found a keyboard logger a few months ago and creditcard information just seems out of the question :p)

Last edited by Phopojijo; 13-10-2005 at 06:37 AM.
# 6 13-10-2005 , 12:56 PM
Weird! , last year I was doing Electronic engineering at uni too!

I had the same problem as you mate, didn't want to be an engineer, i only did the course because it seemed the only bearable course that might suit me. I've now changed to a computing visualisations degree course, it cost me a year of my life and about £3000-£4000 but why do something if you don't feel its right for you?
It took me a year to realise it.

If you are quick than prehaps the uni will let you change course to do a graphics course, you'll have some catching up to do but i'm sure it would be worth it, i just wish i had realised what i wanted to do earlier!
good luck to you my friend, i hope you figure out what you want to do. Remember - if its not what you want to do then find something you DO want to do

Professional Noob

MSN me
# 7 14-10-2005 , 10:19 PM
Thanks to you all. But i think what am giong to do is to try and balance the two, even though am not going to be an engineer, i will make sure i graduate with a certificate and face 3d afterwards.

# 8 15-10-2005 , 09:31 PM
It will look good on a resume -- knowing high level math and some high level physics depending on what you're planning to do with your 3d. (Games? Maybe you'd be able to pitch ideas around with the software-engineering dept.)

# 9 15-10-2005 , 09:48 PM
Am not planning to go into games, i just want to create hi-res models and animate and some visual effects. so i don't think i need some serious maths for that.

# 10 21-10-2005 , 12:46 PM
Subscriber

Think

Hey,
i myself also think that you have to do something that you want to do. If your hart is not at that place there is now piont in saying that it is, because the fact is that it is not. This is something that you have to think and talk about, because the only one that can make your future is you. So make it one that you will like.

I myself live in holland (The netherland) and am also 18 years old. I am having a problem similar to yours. I myself also want to get in the 3d indutrie and attend a school for that. But in holland there is no school that has that. In my country it isnt big. So i am thinking of going to a school in england or america to studie 3d. Only i dont know where, because i never been to england or america. But i realy want to attend a school.

Do you guys have an sugestion?

Don't be afraid of what you can see, but be afraid of what you cant see.
# 11 21-10-2005 , 04:06 PM

Re: Think

Originally posted by Jaroehl
Hey,
i myself also think that you have to do something that you want to do. If your hart is not at that place there is now piont in saying that it is, because the fact is that it is not. This is something that you have to think and talk about, because the only one that can make your future is you. So make it one that you will like.

I myself live in holland (The netherland) and am also 18 years old. I am having a problem similar to yours. I myself also want to get in the 3d indutrie and attend a school for that. But in holland there is no school that has that. In my country it isnt big. So i am thinking of going to a school in england or america to studie 3d. Only i dont know where, because i never been to england or america. But i realy want to attend a school.

Do you guys have an sugestion?

With regards to a school here in England, most will offer some kind of degree related to this, but Bournemouth University probably is one of the best (if not the best) for studying 3D/Animation.

I hear in America that the is a very good institute/univerisy in San Francisco.

Bear in mind that as an international student to the US it will cost a lot, whereas you'll be classed as a student from the EU here in the UK and will only pay the standard fees.

With regards to a school in your own country they may not do 3D/animation degrees and courses but i'd assume they would do some art and design based degrees. It might be better in the long run to take a more traditional art and design subject to build those important skills, while learning Maya yourself.

That is exactly what i'm doing myself, i studied traditional animation, i'm am now studying graphic design, and i plan to go onto either a design or drawing degree. To be honest, i feel i'm improving greatly as a designer/artist now than when i just practiced with Maya.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....

Last edited by doodle; 21-10-2005 at 04:11 PM.
# 12 21-10-2005 , 09:27 PM
Jaroehl if you are going to study 3d in america, i suggest you try gnomon school. They might help you with the visa stuff and even may cut down the fees. You can visit their site

www.gnomon3d.com

# 13 23-10-2005 , 03:34 PM
Subscriber

Thanks

Hey thanka guys,

You have really helped me out here. I didn't even know where to begin. Thanks to you guys i know where to start looking.

I will defanitly take a look at those sites. You guys really helped me get one step closer to my dreamuser added image .

Thanks
user added image

Don't be afraid of what you can see, but be afraid of what you cant see.
# 14 23-10-2005 , 06:19 PM
Subscriber
it depends on what stage you are in your degree... if its in your first year then dropping out isn't so bad so long as you know where your going next.
if your in your second year+ then it would be the better idea to finish the degree since you've already comitted a lot of funds to it.. (unless money isn't a factor for you).
During your studies, in any free time start to work on the 3D package, there are many excellent resources to get you on the road to learning 3D.

However i do not recommend you going to European University to study 3D, whether a BSc/Ba or a Msc/Ma, because its a waste of time and money.. in a European University they only teach you a very limited amount.. the best place to study is either Gnomon over in the US or at the Vancouver Film School (both very expensive!! :s , or maybe a uni over in the US depending on reputation) or the more affordable place if your in europe is at Escape Studios over in London (UK), their comprehensive course covers the vast majority of fields in maya and if your a graduate you can apply for skillset funds scheme which will reduce the course price from £3000 i think to £1000, best thing about that studio is, is that through them you start to build a decent portfolio (which in my opinion is far greater than you can get from studying in any university) and they also try to get you a job through their links (no guarentee's)
If you want be an animator then Animator Mentor is fantastic, tutition via online streaming and your tutor will be a professional! a colleague of mine has joined up and is being taught by a Pixar Animator! i'm actually quite jealous lol.

good luck!

3D Modeler and Texture Painter (Learning)
"We have limits.... our imagination does not"

Final Year: University of Bradford (Worst place to live and study in the UK!!)
# 15 30-10-2005 , 07:25 PM
well, going to school is way too expensive. and they all teach animation.
what if i wanted to learn only rigging and MEL??
are there any schools which have such topic specific courses?
also, there is a school in germany in baaden-wurtemberg which is called filmakademie, i think. it seems pretty good. and if i am not wrong, the education is free. the problem with that school is that it is full time for 4 years. and you are not allowed to work over in Germany as an international student.