Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 25-07-2006 , 05:26 AM

Stacking objects and turning it to one object

user added image

The image on the left is of a ledge model. It has an upper section a middle section and a lower section. How do I go from the one on the left to the one on the right? How can I get it to be one object like the one on the right?

# 2 25-07-2006 , 12:52 PM
The Maya Mountain
The easiest way would probably be to select all of the interior edges (not the corner edges) and use the Edit Polygon > Delete Edge command. The use the Triangulate command under the Polygon menu.

# 3 27-07-2006 , 05:50 AM
hmmm i'll try that. I don't really know what you mean by the interior edges, but i'll fool around with it.

# 4 27-07-2006 , 06:04 AM
The Maya Mountain
Reading over your post again, I think I misunderstood the question. There's not, to my knowledge, a native Maya tool that will blend multiple objects together like that.

You're best bet might be to stack your objects as you have on the left and then, using Snap to Point, use the Create Polygon tool to create a new face over the objects to create a profile like the shape on the right and then extrude it for the desired thickness.

Then you'd delete the objects.

# 5 27-07-2006 , 09:19 AM
i may be mis reading this, but wouldn't you just select the 3 objects (top,middle, botom) that makes up that ledge and use "Combine" under Edit Polygon Tool to combine them? then merge the vertices you want to be together > delete unwanted edges > delete unwanted vertices > use "Split Polygon Tool" to add in edges to match the edges on the right image you posted.

That's what i would do, if i understood it right.

9 months into Maya...and still learning...
0 experience with any other 3D programs
# 6 29-07-2006 , 01:08 AM

Originally posted by blackstrings
i may be mis reading this, but wouldn't you just select the 3 objects (top,middle, botom) that makes up that ledge and use "Combine" under Edit Polygon Tool to combine them? then merge the vertices you want to be together > delete unwanted edges > delete unwanted vertices > use "Split Polygon Tool" to add in edges to match the edges on the right image you posted.

That's what i would do, if i understood it right.

That sounds exactly like what I want to do. Thank you.

Thank you too mtmckinley.

One other question. After I finish a project, like a model, that i might use in a game or a mod. Should I select all objects of the model and and do polygons>combine?? And is there anything else I should do?

# 7 29-07-2006 , 03:01 AM
The Maya Mountain
True you could do that. But I think my way is quicker haha user added image But both ways work!

It'd depend on the game engine you are using, I imagine. None of the projects I've worked on required that though.