Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 18-02-2007 , 11:00 AM
Subscriber

Robot

Alrighty, picked up maya again and wanted to start a new project.

My idea: a robot buying a can of gas (coke)

What I have so far: All C&C welcome/neededuser added image

user added image
user added image
user added image

# 2 18-02-2007 , 11:01 AM
Subscriber
user added image
user added image

# 3 19-02-2007 , 03:01 AM
Subscriber
New Head
user added image

# 4 19-02-2007 , 03:18 AM
Subscriber
I like the can machine - a few of the textures still need a little work but its a cool idea user added image

Don't like the robot though, bit clumsy to be taken seriously, but not styled enough to make it comedy. Sorry if that sounds harsh but it just my take on it.

How do you picture this scene, what kind of atmosphere/vibe are you trying to create, what kind of character are you trying to give to the robot ? If you ARE going for just a comedy vibe, check out the Robots CG film for some character inspiration maybe. Either way you have an idea, just build on it a bit before you go racing through user added image

# 5 19-02-2007 , 04:07 AM
Subscriber
Ya you have a very good point... I dont even know what I'm trying to do. At first I was going for a comedic image and I guess I still am. I'll take you up on that Robots movie.

Wanted to see what Mr.Robot would look mean

user added image

# 6 19-02-2007 , 10:24 AM
doesn't really look mean, cause he's got no facial expression... if you add blendshapes to his 'eyebrow' section and/or to his jaw then emotions might be possible...

i do agree about the textures on the vending machine. if i could dig up my old vending machine from my senior thesis you'd see that you need a 'this way up' dollar pic, a 'hey don't tip the machine, you might get flattened' warning, and a few minor stickers meriting where the machine came from (or how to rent or lease a similar machine).

Accept no substitutions.
# 7 20-02-2007 , 05:07 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the advise, I worked on his face a bit more , enlarged the eyes made the eyebrows more prominent.

Made a little scene for him. Will replace the coffee and donuts I think with more roboty things, not sure yet what though...

user added image

# 8 20-02-2007 , 12:18 PM
Looks like a nice little scene youve got going.

One thing that I would suggest is to bevel some of the edges of the robot as its looking a little sharp in some places.

I think he looks better now, but i'm not really sure what look your after, if you want him to look mean then the overall design of the robot dosent really suit a mean looking one if that makes sense, as he looks more of a "worker robot" so to speak.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 9 20-02-2007 , 01:59 PM
Subscriber
Thanks, actualy that is exactly what I was going for, a worker robot. I just wanted to see what he would look like in a action pose with one of my other models, that is not what he is designed for. I'll try to round him out, I see what your saying.