Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 03-07-2007 , 03:37 PM
Subscriber

Demo Reel on YouTube

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 2 04-07-2007 , 07:32 AM
Some amusing and very well put together animation.

Keep up the top work

# 3 04-07-2007 , 10:45 PM
Subscriber
Hi I had a look at your reel, and I think there are quite some things that could be improved. I have to disagree with leonlabyk, the animation is amusing but it's not put together very well.
First of all you should always put your strongest work first, if it doesn't grip me within 10 seconds I won't watch the rest. I think you put your strongest piece of animation at the very end, (you want answers...) the walkcycle you put at the beginning is animated ok but not very interesting.
The transitions between your clips are slowing the whole thing down a lot, try clean cuts or even crossfades in some situations.
Last thing is the sound, add some nice sound to your animations in part one and they will come across a lot more believable.

here's a great website for sound effects, all free to use just click on search and you will find almost anything

https://freesound.iua.upf.edu/

hope that wasn't too harsh but at the end of the day criticism is what makes you want to improve.

# 4 05-07-2007 , 12:20 AM
haha, i liked it alot

Yay, not a freshman anymore!
# 5 06-07-2007 , 09:03 AM
Subscriber
farbtopf,

Thanks for taking the time!

No, not too harsh at all. Given that I am transitioning from 2D (where I've been working some 15+ years and have PLENTY to show) to 3D (where I'm pretty much back to square 1), ANY advice is good advice!

One has to start somewhere. Of course I am always adding to/improving/replacing things, but this was my first effort. I gather you look at reels over in London, so your advice is not only well-taken, it is relevant. I myself have looked at hundreds of traditional animation reels, and have my own personal quirks about what I like to see in reels (for example, my own personal pet peeve is loud obnoxious music, which will cause me to zap even a good reel)!

Couldn't agree with you more about SFX. I have several professional disks, but I confess I didn't do any SFX for the walk cycles. Also agree about the cuts. Some of the bits are too short for a cross fade, but I think clean cuts will work. (PS I registered with freesounds. We'll see what they have!)

Best work first? Being as we're our own worst critics, that's a tall order, but I see what you mean. I believe you also commented directly on YouTube (if not, I got exactly the same advice you gave me here), and I certainly see that!

Since it was all composited on After Effects, shuffling everything around should be easy. Aslo, this particular reel is for someone I already know (and who already knows me), but I'm glad you piped in before I sent it out into the cold cruel world!

YouTube has a lot of demo reels running the gamut from beginner to pro. I've been watching them all!

Thanks again for your help!

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 6 07-07-2007 , 07:57 PM
Subscriber
Hey Jim, Yeah it looks good though i totally gotta agree with farbs with everything he has said ... one youved done all that, i reckon it would look pretty sweet user added image

cheers,

Marlon

# 7 09-07-2007 , 06:17 PM
Subscriber
I have to agree with farbtopf. The part where hes talking to the robot and drinking. I think the eye brow expressions are amazing. it shows talent but its so late in the video. I almost stopped watching it because the beginning is so slow but im bored lol so i decided to watch the whole thing and thank god i did cause i think its really good work u have there. im a big fan of facial riggin so seeing him go from the talk mdoe to the crying and looking at his eyes amazed me. your strongest pieces should be at the beginning. also, if you;'re looking for help on a demo reel, pixar has tips on their website as to what they are looking for on a reel. they tell u what and what not to do and the beginning or ur movie would fit the what not but the end is good and that should be showcased first because going to a interview, the first 10 secs of your demo reel is what will land you the job the majority of the time so if u get them in right away, u can kinda get away with not having much at the end.

Toyota Supra WIP

I create feeling in others that they themseleves don’t understand.
# 8 09-07-2007 , 09:43 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the additional advice! I've seen Pixar's website, and their guidelines are certainly worth paying attention to. I think the only reason I did the reel in the order it was done in is because the specific individual I am sending it to wanted it that way. I am currently reordering everything so the more involved stuff is first!

I suppose I'd better finish that yesterday, because it seems to be getting some hits on YouTube! :-)

"Ad astra per aspera..."