Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 10-12-2007 , 11:54 AM

Making a model symmetrical again - possible?

Hi,

if you're working on a model, and some of it becomes asymmetrical (in terms of it vertex position), is there an easy way to make it symmetrical again? I'm thinking of a some way to tell maya to copy the vertex positions from -x to +x, without having to duplicate and mirror.

thanks,

gubar

# 2 10-12-2007 , 12:11 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
So your trying to Flip the Object over the Axis (in a mirror like manner) but don't actually want to Mirror the Mesh or duplicate it???

In your Channels Box, with your object selected. Type "-1" in the "Scale X" Channel.

Now thats what i think you mean though i could be wrong.

If wrong Just post back with some more info.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 3 10-12-2007 , 12:21 PM
Hello,

no, I don't think I explained myself well.

I have a model that I want to be symmetrical - but it isn't. Somewhere along the road some of the vertices on one side have gotten out of alignment. I want it to be perfectly symmetrical. I've started UV mapping though so really don't want to delete half.

According to the help files, I should be able to select the vertices on one side, and transfer the position by selecting Edit Mesh > Transfer Attributes, selecting "Vertex Position" and "X" under "Mirroring", but nothing happens at all.

It's not something I've had to do before - but I'm hoping you or somebody has!

thanks,

gubar

# 4 10-12-2007 , 12:46 PM
First thing you need to do for this to work, is select the Vertices's on the side you want Changing!!! Not the side you want to transfer the attributes from.

Ok, now in your Transfer attributes Options.

Make sure that, Vertex position is ON, and Vertex Normals is ON.

Also make sure Sample Space is set to "World".

And, Mirroring is set to "X" (or desired transfer axis)

Then Apply!

This should do it. user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 5 10-12-2007 , 12:56 PM
Hello,

that's what I've tried, but it really isn't doing anything (apart from the "normal option" but I've checked it now)

... is there another setting that could be affecting it (in the way that the "merge" tolerance can mess up a mirror operation)?

It's really having no effect at all. I've tried deleting history/freezing etc but to no avail.

thanks,

gubar

# 6 10-12-2007 , 01:38 PM
What is it your trying to Transfer???

I mean what is the model?

Whats stopping you from, chopping it in half and mirroring it?

The setting seem to work fine for me... maybe post an image, then maybe someone here might spot something.

Other than that I'm not sure!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 7 10-12-2007 , 02:05 PM
Here's an image.

It's a character model. I don't want to delete and mirror, because it's uv mapped and partially textured. I know it's not the recommended work flow but I'm tweaking the model as I go, and I've messed up some UVs along the way.

I know I could delete/mirror then transfer the UVs, but the transfer UVs isn't robust in my experience when you have several sets, which I do, so I really just wanted to mirror the vertice placement.

Anyway, I'm beat for the night so I'm off to bed, I'll check back tomorrow.

thanks again,

gubar

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 10-12-2007 , 04:32 PM
Your model looks perfectly Symmetrical to me!

Also when i was experimenting, i found that bets results are achieved when you turn off Vertex normals. Sometimes this can create black areas on your mesh, where the normals are messed up!

So, like i said i don't see a difference in your mesh, So maybe thats why can't see any results.

Other than that i guess you could make sure your transferring over the right axis. Maybe your model is mirrored over the z Axis??

I'll keep playing with setting to see what i get in Maya, but like i said it's working fine for me.

Try creating a Sphere and messing up one side, and try the Transfer Attributes on that. If it works then you know it's the model thats having the problem, and vis versa.

Good luck user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 9 11-12-2007 , 03:52 AM
how many vertices are out? can you not just move them into place in the side view using v to snap?

# 10 11-12-2007 , 03:54 AM
You can always cut your mesh in half and duplicate the good side and then connect the two good sides together. I never duplicate anything until its done or I need to make somethin asymetrical. If you're not done, using a smooth proxy should avoid these problems.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 11 11-12-2007 , 05:09 AM
Hi folks,

haven't been able to try anything else (not had maya open) but I will be tomorrow.

Mayaniac, yeah I'll try a sphere when I can and see if it works - wonder what the implications for my model if it doesn't?

Arran - I'll try snapping if all else fails, was just looking for a quick fix first.

Anthony - I've already said a couple of posts back why I don't want to delete and duplicate.

Cheers and more tomorrow,

gubar

EDIT:

Just had a chance to try it out on a sphere, and it doesn't work. It does move them, to a (very rough) approximation of the others, but it's certainly not exactly mirroring them.

weird. I just done a clean install a week or two ago too.

Last edited by gubar; 11-12-2007 at 05:21 AM.