Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 18-12-2002 , 03:07 AM

Another Project!

Hey M8s and M8s alike!
This is yet another project I have gotten myself into! First let me explain! I have the friend who is a girl! user added image and she wants to do the voice for a character in a movie I make so she inspired me to come up with this fun little character who has yet to be named! She is going to be a butterfly, live in a watercan and probably be a school teacher for other bugs to be modeled later! It will probably be a while till I can make the whole short film but hey never to early to start the modeling process! Now this is my first ever NURBS model so it has been REALLY fun! and a wee bit challenging! So if ya'll have any suggestions, comments, etc. PLEASE tell me anything whether used of not will help! I feel it looks good so far so here ya go!

May the force be with you...always!
A Jedi shall not know anger nor hatred nor Love
The only way to live a good life is to act upon your emotions
A warrior is reborn when he has something to protect
# 2 18-12-2002 , 03:19 AM
here's the watercan so far! real simple I'll add more detail as more ideas about what to do with it come!

# 3 21-12-2002 , 11:52 PM
cool. you make the eyes in photoshop. reminds me of the way i do it.

# 4 22-12-2002 , 07:35 AM
Yeah I used Photoshop for the eyes, very simple but effective technique and for being so simple adds so much character I feel. Here's an update with the body done! Still needs arms, legs, hair and wings. For now she's on hold cause I've been working on the monthly competition! Later M8!

# 5 23-12-2002 , 08:47 AM
okay question?!?! what is the best way to attach the freakin arms to her body... When I attech them I get all sorts of wierd deformations in the neck and under the arms... suggestions PLZ!
THX

# 6 23-12-2002 , 01:22 PM
Here is what you do.... Atleast this is what I do for Eye sockets, arms legs ect.... If it is not Polys yet, convert it to poly's, and if you convert it to polys, make sure the settings are on quads and you can do it by # instead of automatic, I would start around a 700 count, and work your way up untill you have enough detail. the lower the better, you can allways smooth it down after attach the arm. (do the same for the arm, but make it less polys) YOu need to delete some polys (make a hole) where you want to put the arm. Now the key here is to make sure there are the same # of verticies surrounding the end of the arm as there is on the inside of the hole (this might envolve some counting. If there are less verticies around the hole you created for the arm (witch I am assuming that there is going to be, Then you need to use the 'split Polygon tool, under edit Polygons. Now all you have to do is draw in some lines to make sure there are enought vert's. Easiestway to do this is make sure that your arm is low poly, so that you don't have to add to many additional verts on the body. After that is done, move the verticies of the arm, close to the verticies that you are going to connect it to on the body. Then go to Poygons, and combine the two.... Now all you have to do is select the two near Verts, and go to Edit polygons and Merge verticies. They should snap together, if they don't, go up to the tool, and pull down its options. If they don't snap together, then just increase the #, That number tells maya how far apart the Verticies can be before it connects them. It may look wierd at first having the arm attach like that, but once you smooth it, it looks seemless. Sounds complicated, but its not, just a little time consuming. Hope this helps,
Brian.

# 7 23-12-2002 , 09:22 PM
Subscriber
Wow. I never thought of connecting ligaments that way. Nice one Brian. I still don't know how to connect nurbs togather well to make a good face, though.

# 8 24-12-2002 , 05:37 AM
Ohhhh makes total sence!!! THX
In other words though I can't have them as NURBS... oh well if polys is what it takes then polys is what it gets! THX again!

# 9 26-12-2002 , 07:37 AM
Okay when I convert to polys... is it supposed to make a copy in poly leaving the original NURBS?... just wondering! Oh and also does anybody know of a good tut on how to rig a character Face and all... Thanks ya'll!

# 10 26-12-2002 , 01:14 PM
sometimes it keeps originals sometimes it doesn't. you would have to check the options on the tool, to decide wether or not it keeps original. Uusually converting to Poly's makes a mess of your mesh, so I usually turn on quads, and do it by count, that way it keeps the mesh nice and clean, you can also convert it to subd's and then polys. thanks,
Brian

# 11 31-12-2002 , 07:47 AM
Okay now that the Dec. challenge is up I can get back to this!
I'll have updates soon! user added image

# 12 07-01-2003 , 11:07 AM
Okay, finally had some time to sit down and work on her! Did some texture rework on the eyes. Speaking of which if someone has a good technique of doing eyes I'd like to know! I want her eyes to be more realistic than cartoony... I'm getting there but any help would be cool! Also got the arms going. Still needs major work but that's why they call these WIP! user added image
Brian also I couldn't get it to connect verts... I don't know if I was doing it wrong or what... I selected a vert on the arm then the cooresponding vert on the body, click connect verts and nothing happened... even by uping the distance... hmmm any ideas!??! I'd like to know what I did wrong for future reference! Anyways here's the pics!

# 13 07-01-2003 , 11:10 AM
Showing the arms