Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 76 12-01-2010 , 07:37 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by mikeyduf
Nice picture user added image the only thing I don't really like is the thing coming out of the boat... I don't know what it is...
is that a kind of leg?

i've looked at this several times and i still don't see a leg

the only thing i see coming out of the boat is another lizard

i'm still seeing the eyes of that frog-bear in the sky and i think you should wipe them out because now it looks like it's opening it's mouth and revealing some weird insides user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 77 12-01-2010 , 07:40 AM
Subscriber
oh man im sorry I don't know why I saw a kind of leg lol
Its the kind of door at the left
the light is coming from inside now I understand and I get your idea =)

But I still think that there's something around there that could be better but I can't find it...

Maya modeler - current project Avatar - purplemikey
# 78 12-01-2010 , 09:51 AM
Subscriber
thats cool mike. it is a bit bright , wasnt completely happy with it myself.

# 79 12-01-2010 , 09:53 AM
Subscriber
ok =) sorry I was unable to describe what I saw I think I was really tired lol cuz today I just saw it really clearly on the first time

Maya modeler - current project Avatar - purplemikey
# 80 12-01-2010 , 01:19 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Chirone
i've looked at this several times and i still don't see a leg

the only thing i see coming out of the boat is another lizard

i'm still seeing the eyes of that frog-bear in the sky and i think you should wipe them out because now it looks like it's opening it's mouth and revealing some weird insides user added image

........gggrrrrrrrr......

.....on the do list...

:p

# 81 14-01-2010 , 12:18 AM
Subscriber
just a few little more bits and pieces..

Im sorry if it seems a post up updates of this when I havnt done that much extra work to it, but there is a good reason...

The computer that I work on is quite a nice computer but I use it with a monitor that is at least 8 years old. The resolution isnt very good and the quality of picture makes me not really like what im doing most of the time. But in my bedroom I have a Playstation3 which I have hooked up to a nice panasonic flatscreen tv, and when i look at this image on the browser on that it has a much better resolution/contrast/punchiness, which helps me see what else i could/should add/change. so i have been liking to keep it updated so that I can check my work each time I do some, even if it is a little, on a screen which gives me a slightly better quality of image.

That explained, In this update, I have changed the sign in the bottom left, done some more painting on the bunting and the clouds above the volcano, added some more paraphernalia to the ship and masts, given dino some manicles and tried to add some foot/cart prints to the sand, among other little bits and pieces. oh , and the lights on the hill in the background. And toned down the brightness of the hull interior.

I am starting to wonder how to make use of the space in the top right of the picture. I have thought about having some bird sit on top of the bunting, some hot air ballons in the sky, or some more rope work coming off the bunting... but am not sure...if anyone has any ideas I could throw into the mix it might help...

Attached Images
# 82 14-01-2010 , 12:25 AM
EduSciVis-er
I'm not sure that you should add anything to the upper right. I'm no expert on composition, (but I'm starting a course soon, yay!) though I'll toss out what I think. You should have your image so your eye gets naturally drawn to elements in a certain order, and keep your eye within the frame (this I've heard from reputable sources). Though I've seen this image over its many iterations, I think what an impartial eye would see first is the bright foreground, (the lights and main dragon), then get led back to the door of the ship (sorry to go against what you've already changed, but I might leave it a bit brighter), where the vertical masts draw you up and the rope with flags brings you right back to the start. Maybe someone else with a more trained eye could confirm (or refute) what I said. Keep it up!

EDIT: I guess my point was just that if you add another element above the rope, it could disrupt what already seems to be great composition.

# 83 14-01-2010 , 12:44 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by stwert
I'm not sure that you should add anything to the upper right. I'm no expert on composition, (but I'm starting a course soon, yay!) though I'll toss out what I think. You should have your image so your eye gets naturally drawn to elements in a certain order, and keep your eye within the frame (this I've heard from reputable sources). Though I've seen this image over its many iterations, I think what an impartial eye would see first is the bright foreground, (the lights and main dragon), then get led back to the door of the ship (sorry to go against what you've already changed, but I might leave it a bit brighter), where the vertical masts draw you up and the rope with flags brings you right back to the start. Maybe someone else with a more trained eye could confirm (or refute) what I said. Keep it up!

EDIT: I guess my point was just that if you add another element above the rope, it could disrupt what already seems to be great composition.

ha ha. Maybe theres more of a middle ground with the doorway.

Im glad you have mentioned the composition. I do have concerns about mucking up what I also think, and am pleased with, is a fairly sound composition. Its good that you make me doubly remember though. The flipside is that part of me thinks that the completely barren space there has its own weakening effect on the composition.

Thinking about the direction the eye takes, I am thinking of adding some wooden fence posts or vegetation or both to the bottom left of the picture sloping down to the right to help enfore the sweep that there is between top left and bottom right.

Other thoughts I have had, are... im a little annoyed I added a depth of field effect to the boat. Ive been thinking that maybe some of the issues over it come from that, and also its not normal or bump mapped in any way which cretaes a slightly jarring effect with everything else. And I kind of wish in hindsight the water was actual geometry too. Theres a ....sort...of...clash between the 'opaqueness', for lack of knowing a better word to use, between some of the 3d elements and photographic elements. or maybe its just that some elements are bump/normalled, while others arnt.

I think my photoshop skills are geting a little better, ive laerned a few knew moves, and am developing a (little incy wincy bit) better eye for scouring photos and seeing how and what I could take from them.

Again, thanks for the encouragement stwert.

# 84 15-01-2010 , 08:06 AM
Subscriber
ok, last one i want to post up before i go away for the long weekend. Want to have the latest version up so I can check it on my phone and maybe show a couple of people Im seeing. Im sure theres something wrong with me...

Attached Images
# 85 15-01-2010 , 07:55 PM
Super Moderator
Actually I think once you get rid of that seam, the upper right wouldn't appear "barren", that seam really pulls the eyes.

- Genny
# 86 15-01-2010 , 09:58 PM
The thin red line
ben
dont you hate it when you show some one your stuff and they are more interested in eastenders.............that sucks dave

# 87 18-01-2010 , 08:10 PM
Subscriber
Genny.... Ok I shall bump it up the do-list a bit. To be honest Im a little worried about fixing it, because when I played with it when I first extended the picture it was a bit hard to do. But I think I must of been havin a stupid moment cause im sure its fixable.

Dave.... Yeah, I think I know what you mean. I showed my brother in the car on the way to center parcs on friday, and he just sort of solemnly nodded. I think his, and my familys attitude is kind of 'yeah, nice picture n all, but is it actually advancing your career?'

The family we went with have a couple of younger kids, 10 and 14 or 15 I think, and they both said they liked it, and their nan nudged me in the back and went, 'did you do that?', I said yeah, she went 'thats fab', which in her vocab is a definite vote of confidence, so that was pleasing.

Being on 3 mobile network, my signal was typically not great, and when my phone ran out of battery on the second day, I didnt bother recharging. Luckily the little girl had a small notebook she could get the internet on, but I didnt get alot of time to play with it, was gonna say hi from longleat. So I havnt seen the picture for a few days and having looked at it again just now for the first time, im quite pleased. Im looking forward now to continuing, i dont go back to work till friday.

# 88 19-01-2010 , 10:25 PM
Subscriber
This is kind of what I had in mind with the extra roping on the right and the fence on the left, some more vegetation to come I think. Seam just about gone. A bit stumped with the volcano. Not sure whether to go more red or more yellow, or even have it in at all, the hard red is quite a pull I think.

Attached Thumbnails
# 89 19-01-2010 , 10:44 PM
Super Moderator
Oh definitely looks loads better with the seam gone. I don't think the volcano is a bad idea and I think leaning more toward red is good, and adding some falling ash, [maybe blur the bits closest to the camera] will add some depth.

- Genny
# 90 19-01-2010 , 10:57 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by GecT
Oh definitely looks loads better with the seam gone. I don't think the volcano is a bad idea and I think leaning more toward red is good, and adding some falling ash, [maybe blur the bits closest to the camera] will add some depth.

you mean as if the ash is reaching and falling all the way into the foreground? if so, i think i can visualise what u mean. be good if i could pull it off. need some reference for that...

im inclined to agree about the red, its just the stupid blend modes im using at the minute are creating some really sick(in the old fashioned bad sense of the word) and guady luminous colours in that part of the sky. especially where it clashes with the bunting. its makin it all go a bit 'grandmas carpet'. depends i guess if i can get the same colours and contrast feel without the blend modes. i think theres hard light n some other randomy one at work there right now, they just gave the best effect as i scrolled through em...