Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 31 27-10-2010 , 08:39 PM
The thin red line
Simular to what I have but its a 64 bit with 6 gig of memory. I dont know why you are having crashes. What size are your textures?..........dave

# 32 27-10-2010 , 08:55 PM
Subscriber
I think I overworry about it, but they do happen. Maya seems to destabalize sometimes, so like, last night, I introduced a new texture map into the scene, and Maya crashed. But I know from experience that if that happens, I turn off, turn on again, and chances are it will work. But there will come a point where it wont take any more. At the moment, I have 2 2048 maps and 1 4096. One of the 2048 ones is duplicated in some spec and reflection slots. Render times are about 3 and a half minutes at the moment, which goes up to over 8 when I add the landing lights in there.

# 33 27-10-2010 , 11:27 PM
Subscriber
I just duplicated the scene file so I can carry on in the direction I was going to finish the texturing and everything, but felt like having a test with some lighting. Initially I wanted to give it the feel that there was some light from the sky falling on it, and tried a couple of spots. Also did an occlusion pass. I got this render which I quite like, and it has given me some ideas of perhaps another direction I could go in.

Attached Thumbnails
# 34 28-10-2010 , 10:33 AM
The Nurb Herd
if you are having problems rendering it. you should render it in parts and comp it together.
you don't need to worry about lots of passes. just make a surface shader and set the matte opacity to black. apply that to the helicopter (or background depending on what you want to render.) when you render it now, the helicopter will have no alpha and will render black.
so once you have done this for both the BG and the helicopter you should have a background with the outline of the helicopter and the hind by itself on black. now you can use nuke or shake, toxic or whatever to over the helicopter render onto the bg.

# 35 28-10-2010 , 04:11 PM
The thin red line
Thats better Ben, the texture for the landing pad looks a bit to course and the next time I post on your thread I will only say positive thing............:attn: ...........dave

# 36 28-10-2010 , 04:24 PM
Subscriber
Phew...starting to feel like I cant do anything right! user added image

Yeah, that texture a little too stretched/large for a close up like that I think.

p.s hammer, I forget about that method...will keep in mind.

# 37 29-10-2010 , 02:12 AM
Subscriber
Got a little bit more texturing done today and played with some ideas for the animation. I took one of the renders into Photoshop to play, and ended up with something I think I could turn into a matte painting that I could use as the environment. Will have to go over some of my old matte painting notes to go over a few things, its been ages now. Im planning on having the helicopter at the bottom of a lift shaft on teh landing platform. Then the platform will rise up, and when it gets to the top, and the helicopter will take off and fly away. Below might end up being what the outside will look like, roughly.

Attached Thumbnails
# 38 29-10-2010 , 10:51 AM
The thin red line
That looks cool Ben................dave

# 39 29-10-2010 , 11:41 AM
Subscriber
yehaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy!!!!user added image

# 40 29-10-2010 , 10:45 PM
The thin red line
I did say the next time I posted it would be positive and that is what I did. Your rotor blade need a little work as they look to square. The glass area look like solid glass. I cannot see a front landing gear it looks like your model is blanced on the rear wheels.......Ben fix these three things and your last render will look greate.................dave

# 41 30-10-2010 , 01:15 AM
Subscriber
I still have to build the front wheel. Its a bit more intricate than the backwheels. Agree also about the rotors. They are kind of square shape, but,....its hard to tell how I can change them to make them look better other than modelling in some extra detail.

The glass. If/when I animate this, I thought it would be better to cover the glass a bit, as Im not going to model in a pilot and so I wanted to get rid of the transparency. If I work up a still image though I think yeah, it could lose some of all that stuff going on there.

Could do with some occlusion aswell I think, now. Im not sure this matte idea is going to work, so Im torn between just creating a still or working on an animation. I dont know. I got this so far, still wise, but I just cant get my head around how to make it work in an animated way. Cause alot of the look of this is created in Photoshop, so if I try and make a background that suits this look, then when I go back to Maya, the background will be in this style, but the actual animation will be in its original style, not sure if I'll be able to recreate the look in after effects. I guess I better just get on with it and have a go, rather than think too much about it.

Attached Thumbnails
# 42 30-10-2010 , 06:15 AM
Looking really good Ben,
With regards to the rotors I would insert an edge loop down the middle of the rotor although slightly off to one side. Then bring down the verts along one of the edges as the rotors are a bit like a sword thick on one side sharp on the other. they do tend to be fatter at the very top where they connect though so you may need to add more detail here.

Keep up the good work though and am sure you will be able to get everything to match up in after effects.

# 43 30-10-2010 , 11:09 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by leonlabyk
Looking really good Ben,
With regards to the rotors I would insert an edge loop down the middle of the rotor although slightly off to one side. Then bring down the verts along one of the edges as the rotors are a bit like a sword thick on one side sharp on the other. they do tend to be fatter at the very top where they connect though so you may need to add more detail here.

Keep up the good work though and am sure you will be able to get everything to match up in after effects.

Hi Leon. Thanks. Good idea with the sword shape, I get what you mean.

Regarding After Effects. Colours wise, and colour grading, contrast. gamma wise etc, I reckon so. Its the environment bit that im unsure of. I have only animated one matte painting/background before, and it was just a simple, small, zoom. I know I wont be able to add that much movement to the camera, but the plan is to have the camera follow the helicopter up the lift shaft and then as it reaches the top, teh background will be revealed. This will involve too much camera movement I think. Thinking about it this morning. I wonder if it's possible, if I render any background out in layers, to add some slight animations on the translations of those layers in AE or Nuke. Im gonna rig up the helicopter tomorrow and start trying to put the first 'lift rise' part together, it'll be trial and error I guess.

# 44 30-10-2010 , 02:07 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
looks very stylized , I like it.
If I might offer some suggestions, I have attached a lowress of colorcorrections I did, I found that it was to blueish. and used a blur tool to try to get the DOF effect( not to subtle but it get's the idea across user added image ).

The render itself is a bit blotchy, so crank up the samples per pixel and lower colorcontrast ( somewhere between .02 an .05).

Looks promising though
user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 45 30-10-2010 , 07:49 PM
Head of 3d Admedia

looks very stylized , I like it. If I might offer some suggestions, I have attached a lowress of colorcorrections I did, I found that it was to blueish. and used a blur tool to try to get the DOF effect( not to subtle but it get's the idea across ). The render itself is a bit blotchy, so crank up the samples per pixel and lower colorcontrast ( somewhere between .02 an .05). Looks promising though

now looks like something out of gears of war especially the second pic