Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 20-06-2003 , 08:31 PM

Reflection Prob.

I have a texture that has grooves in it, but if I change the relfection levels, the grooves disapear.

The reflection level needed to see the grooves is too high. It makes the object too reflective, but if I make the reflectino level smaller (to what i desire) you can't see the grooves.

Whats going on.

Attached Thumbnails

- Matt
# 2 21-06-2003 , 03:11 AM
Subscriber
First of all, how did you get the grooves in your texture in the first place? From the looks of it, you aren't using a file texture and don't have a bump map on. You do have something for the reflected color and specular color however. I'm guessing that you probably need to adjust your reflectivity to your liking, then modify whatever you're using to get the grooves afterwards.

I may be completely wrong, so if any of you Maya gurus have any other idea, go ahead and post it. :-)

# 3 21-06-2003 , 04:04 PM
I can't remember right now (my Maya computer is at work), but I think that my reflected color is a fractal texture, just streaked.

Nope no bump. The fractal gives me a nice smooth, but streaky look.

I quess I'l just have to keep playing with the fractal settings and texture placement to get it right.

I'll get back with more on Monday.

- Matt
# 4 23-06-2003 , 07:26 PM
Subscriber
it looks that the grooves are not gone. the reflectivity is just so low that you almost cannot see them no more. the highlight is just a bit too big to notice the reflection any more.

Last edited by BabyDuck; 23-06-2003 at 07:29 PM.
# 5 23-06-2003 , 08:54 PM
Hey thanks guys. user added image

I played around with my fractal reflected color settings. Didn't get the greatest reuslt that I wanted, but I was able to make it a little better.

- Matt