Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 46 12-09-2003 , 05:46 AM
Subscriber
Not much to show tonight, but it's progress never the less. I added a little bit to the container tanks, duplicated them, added yet another computer station in the midst of the containers, added the exits and entry ways so the room can be connected to a hallway, and added a divider I guess you could say to the lower portion of the room which contains a small closet and several shelves on both of the longer sides which I will use to place small items on such as boxes, small cases, computer-related items, small plants, and various other junk to fill up the scene.

Only four more days until I begin texturing. I will probably not be able to finish all of the modeling I had originally wished to complete, due to school and other things that inevitably interupt my 3D work. I will, however, be making this a project even after the challenge is over to fully complete it, which makes me happy.

Attached Thumbnails
# 47 13-09-2003 , 04:16 PM
Subscriber
Silo layout complete. As you can see, I modeled one layer which consists of the walls, the platform, a threshold, the stairs, the railings, a ladder, a hole for the ladder, and a hole for the elevator. This layer can be stacked on top of a duplicate of itself which I have done. (see wireframe image) I know the elevator looks primitive, but I did not deem it neccesary to put a lot of detail into such a thing for the silo. It will run on a small pole-like attachment which will hook onto the outer wall of the silo. Only thing left is to model a missile to place inside the silo and a retracting ceiling.

edit - forgot to add that each item in the layer is in fact a seperate object, so everything can be moved around for each additional layer. For instance, you probably wouldn't want all of the exits and entries to be located directly above one another, so you could simply rotate the wall portion and have a door be somewhere else.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Darkware; 13-09-2003 at 04:20 PM.
# 48 13-09-2003 , 08:13 PM
The Maya Mountain
If I could makea suggestion.

Get to a stopping point with your modeling and start thinking about textures. Obviously, you've got a lot of modeling left, so keep it up, but you might want to hold off on more rooms until you get the details of what you have done.

In general, texturing takes longer than the actual modeling, and we're about at the half-way point of the challenge!

Looking forward to it.

# 49 13-09-2003 , 08:44 PM
Subscriber
ahh yes. If you look back to some of the early posts of mine I stated that I would begin the texturing process at the half point just as you suggested. user added image The 15th is my deadline, so I have two more days left.

# 50 13-09-2003 , 11:04 PM
Subscriber
Good stuff! I like the idea of moving them round to put the doors in different places.

# 51 18-09-2003 , 01:30 AM
Subscriber
Began the texturing process a day early (14th) since I was at a good stopping point and have been trying to work every day since then. Texturing is really difficult when you have to make your own textures from scratch.

Image - This is a close up of the round room. I have textured the computer terminals, the walls, the flooring, and the giant screens. If you look closely, you can see that the walkways are partially transparent like a real walkway floor.

Attached Thumbnails
# 52 18-09-2003 , 01:33 AM
Subscriber
Image - a second screen shot of the circular room. I have mapped a different image to each of the four big screens and one for each of the computer terminal screens. (some not shown)

The giant cyndrilical item you see is the device that is in the middle of the circular room. I textured all of the hallways. Quick image of what the transparency looks like for the walkways.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Darkware; 18-09-2003 at 01:43 AM.
# 53 18-09-2003 , 01:41 AM
Subscriber
Last image. A close up of the computer terminal, and six of my texture files all crammed together. The first is the one I used for the flooring of the circular room. The second is for the flooring of the hallways. the third is the image used for the flooring for the walkways which is actually supposed to be a targa. (obviously cannot show actual transparency) The forth image is the ceiling tile texture for the hallway ceilings. The fifth image is for the walls of the circular room and was applied to various other smaller items. I plan to reduce this to a 256x256 texture since I have deemed 512 too big just for walls of a single room. Last, but not least, image number six was used mainly for the hallways. The image all the way to the left (sort of looks like minerature X's) was originally used for the flooring of the hallways. I later changed it to image 2 because I could easily tile it, which made things a lot easier. The same goes for the one right beside it, which obviously resembles my ceiling texture for my walkways.

Attached Thumbnails
# 54 18-09-2003 , 01:51 AM
The Maya Mountain
Lol, cool, Dark. user added image

Looks like your off to a good start. I'm looking forward to your adding in the details! user added image

# 55 18-09-2003 , 03:14 AM
hey thats really neat stuff u got there

cyaah!!
# 56 18-09-2003 , 03:44 AM
Subscriber
Wow lots of great work there. Those textures would really jump at me if they weren't so perfectly clean. Only dirt i see is a little bit of the vents. Everything has SOME kind of dirt on it, unless its in a hospital.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 57 18-09-2003 , 04:27 AM
Subscriber
Great start on the textures Darkware.
I like the monitor screens, perhaps you should
be carefull with using the alias logo though user added image

Other than that, just to back up vectorman, make sure
to get the place dirtied up a bit.

Can't wait to see how this develops, keep it up.

# 58 18-09-2003 , 03:39 PM
Subscriber
Great start. You might also want to add in a few other contrasting colours perhaps. Those walkways are really nice, how did you do that? That cutaway corridor section is a great idea!

# 59 22-09-2003 , 12:10 AM
Subscriber
Like err "WoW" !!! Very precice, and artful work man... user added image

Scraggy

# 60 01-10-2003 , 05:17 AM
The Maya Mountain
Hey, Dark! Yours was one of the more promising ones, dude! Hope to see your entry up there tomorrow. user added image