Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 16-11-2002 , 02:15 AM
Subscriber

Polygon tool problems

Hi all!

First off, the new site looks really nice!

I use to hang out at 3D Buzz and Highend 3D, but this place here looks inviting, too! user added image

So let's see if I can find some help here...

I want to create a polygon using the polygon tool (don't say!), then, by pressing control and placing new points, I want to make a hole...

So far, so good - but after placing the second vertex for the hole I get the following error message:

// Error: Cannot start a hole : previous loop must be at least a triangle //

It let's me place one more point, but after that, if a insert another vertex, it starts a new hole...

After hitting <Enter> I get my triangled holes.

Now, the funny thing is that the poly can have 3+ edges, it's always the same error message popping up.

Any pearls of wisodm here?

Renderizer

Last edited by Renderizer; 16-11-2002 at 02:17 AM.
# 2 16-11-2002 , 02:21 AM
Subscriber
I would guess it has something to do with an issue of planarity. But I'm sorry to tell that I haven't used this tool.

Im still a newbie, but stay a while and maybe a prophet will respond to this.

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 3 16-11-2002 , 02:33 AM
Subscriber
A prophet?

Cool, I really need one to tell me if I will be lucky with my lottery numbers... ! user added image

Well, back to the problem at hand: the poly IS planar, so that's not the point.

It's always the same #!@*§&@µ% error message... user added image

But thanks for your help anyway.

That was a quick one!

Renderizer

# 4 16-11-2002 , 02:37 AM
Subscriber
Although some things should in theory be planar, even when moving a vertice or two, Maya has given me error messages on an object that should be planar all the way though the vertice moving. So Maybe Maya dont really trust me on the planar issue. user added image

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 5 16-11-2002 , 03:47 AM
Subscriber
Pah!

Try using booleans on some complex geometry ( user added image ) and you'll win yourself a free ticket to bedlam!

Sometimes I hate it when the software wants to handle EVERYTHING for me (but just sometimes... user added image)

It's just like with Microsoft: anyone who buys Windows must have gone soft in the head and so can't be given full control of the software... user added image

May the ever raytracing god be with ye!

Renderizer