Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 16-05-2009 , 11:26 PM
Subscriber

Skeleton / Body Issues

Any idea as to why when I group a skeleton with the body and move them as the group the body moves twice as far as the skeleton?

# 2 16-05-2009 , 11:31 PM
Subscriber
on the body go Modify > freeze transformations

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 17-05-2009 , 12:10 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Chirone
on the body go Modify > freeze transformations

Thanks for the quick reply, that was one of the first things I tried and unfortunately didn't work for me...

Really whats going on is, it all moves together fine, then when I bind the skin it goes out of sync... heres a visual for reference! Im using the same exact control to move the from the first picture to the second picture, so as soon as I bind it something gets screwy.

(Just to note, when it does bind it binds where it should in the body, the picture represents the skeleton going out of sync once I move it)

Really appreciate anyone's help!!

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by jjmacky88; 17-05-2009 at 12:12 AM.
# 4 17-05-2009 , 01:17 AM
Subscriber
its really hard to see whats going wrong from 2 images.

try making a video of the problem. but binding geometry to a skeleton should not really affect any nodes in your rig hierarchy, weird problem. try making a video, use Jing its free and fast. https://www.jingproject.com/

# 5 17-05-2009 , 02:14 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by vladimirjp
its really hard to see whats going wrong from 2 images.

try making a video of the problem. but binding geometry to a skeleton should not really affect any nodes in your rig hierarchy, weird problem. try making a video, use Jing its free and fast. https://www.jingproject.com/

Thanks for the reply vlad, Jing is a really neat program, heres the video of the problem:

https://screencast.com/t/l8OHSnx4e2

Thanks again for all the help guys you're the only thing keeping me from going insane overe here lol.

Last edited by jjmacky88; 17-05-2009 at 02:17 AM.
# 6 17-05-2009 , 02:51 AM
Subscriber
am i right to assume you parented your body to the control curve?

if you did then unparent it

the skeleton is meant to be binded to the body (in this case) and the skeleton parts are meant to be parented to the control curve

the body shouldn't be parented to the control curve at all

hope i'm right...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 7 17-05-2009 , 03:21 AM
Subscriber
yea, chirone is right, looks like a double transform issue.

# 8 17-05-2009 , 06:31 PM
Subscriber
You guys got me in the right direction, I had to backtrack and redo some grouping but I finally got it, Thanks again Chirone, it's much appreciated!