Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 30-11-2009 , 08:54 PM

Ripple on a Sphere

Hi all

I'm trying to create the scene of an asteroid hitting earth, with a shot from space. As the asteroid hits earth, I want a ripple effect to come from the point of impact, like a tidal wave for example.

I am able to create a ripple on a flat ocean surface, but can't figure out how to add a ripple to anything else, like a sphere in this case.

Would anyone know how to do this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rich

# 2 01-12-2009 , 12:49 AM
Maybe try the soft-Modification tool. I am not sure it is quite what you are looking for, but you can certainly get a ripple effect on a sphere. Make sure that when you are using the soft-mod tool, that the attribute editor is open, because you will need to edit the falloff curve to look like waves (Can be a bit tough to get right)

I hope this helped user added image

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 01-12-2009 , 10:46 AM
The thin red line
just a idear, could you make the sphere a ncloth material then the asteroid a colition object I think that could work..........dave

# 4 02-12-2009 , 03:11 AM
Technical Director
Both would be long to simulate, as well as time consuming.

The way I've done it in the past, is to deform an object by another object. There are a few ways to do this.

You can use sculpt deformers, or do this.

Create a joint at the center of your Earth. Select the Earth, and smooth bind it to the joint. (This technique only works with Smooth Binding) Now, select the Earth, and then the deforming object(s). (Might be the other way around) And Under edit smooth binding, choose add influence.

Grab the deforming object and move it around. There should now be a ripple.

If you have any problems, I'll take a further look into it for you.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.