Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 25-11-2010 , 12:35 PM
Subscriber

Presenting work (test demo reel)

https://vimeo.com/17184744

Hi all. A couple of years ago it was a small ambition of mine to create myself a 'demo reel' at some point, after being inspired by so many that I saw, here and elsewhere...youtube...etc. I have put it off for a while, but realised a little while ago, aslong as I think 'just one more project, just one more project', I would end up putting it off indefinitely. So I thought i should just crack on with it, and give myself a base on which to build.

I've uploaded it to Vimeo (see link up top), Id appreciate anybodys comments.

I didnt appreciate how fiddly and time consuming putting together a 'showreel' would be. I put 'showreel'/'demo reel' in inverted commas as Im not sure if that is quite what I have. I think the main problem with it is that it's half of one thing, i.e models, and half of another, i.e environments. Im not sure if this makes it a 'generalists' portfolio, or just a bad modelling portfolio and/or bad environments portfolio? i dont think I have a strong enough collection of either to justify a dedicated reel to one area.
Does anyone in 'the industry' have any views on 'generalists' portfolios? Are they generally frowned upon?

I also should put some titles and descriptions in I think.

I think the Thompson is the weakest part (for modelling/materials/textures) - this will probably be the first thing I take out when I do something better.

I'd like to start sending some of my stuff out more regularly.

# 2 25-11-2010 , 12:55 PM
Hi Ben,

It's looking great a base to start with, here's my thoughts on it, and some small advice I hope may help (some you'll probably know but it may help someone reading it anyway hopefully.)
The turntable of the helicopter looked cool, I really liked the render, but it could have maybe been a little slower, and only revolved once with the texture on, and once with the wireframe.
From what I've read you it can be a good idea to stick some of your best stuff at the beginning, to get an employers attention straight away, and not spend too long on each item (they can pause a video if they want to study one part of it). If they continue watching end with something amazing that they won't forget and will make them want to rewatch the whole reel over.
I love your matte paintings, excellent stuff! If you get a few more of those done you should definitely do a reel just of those, tailoring your reel for specific jobs is also a good idea. Obviously that's not always an option if your getting your first one together, but a good idea if you've been going at it a while.

All in all, it's a really good start to expand on, I hope my words help somehow, and I'll be looking forward to seeing your reel grow!

# 3 25-11-2010 , 01:07 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Dango77
Hi Ben,

It's looking great a base to start with, here's my thoughts on it, and some small advice I hope may help (some you'll probably know but it may help someone reading it anyway hopefully.)
The turntable of the helicopter looked cool, I really liked the render, but it could have maybe been a little slower, and only revolved once with the texture on, and once with the wireframe.
From what I've read you it can be a good idea to stick some of your best stuff at the beginning, to get an employers attention straight away, and not spend too long on each item (they can pause a video if they want to study one part of it). If they continue watching end with something amazing that they won't forget and will make them want to rewatch the whole reel over.
I love your matte paintings, excellent stuff! If you get a few more of those done you should definitely do a reel just of those, tailoring your reel for specific jobs is also a good idea. Obviously that's not always an option if your getting your first one together, but a good idea if you've been going at it a while.

All in all, it's a really good start to expand on, I hope my words help somehow, and I'll be looking forward to seeing your reel grow!

Thanks man. It occured to me that the Hind turntable might be too quick (and too dark) - I think most of the model turntables are too dark, that was a comment I usd to get on here when I was making all the guns. Also, that the other guns were onscreen too long and too slow. Thanks for the comments about the matte paintings. I do feel watching through the video that the second half is the strongest, and perhaps I should have done it the other way around, with those at the beginning and the models afterwards. It doesnt all fit together really, does it user added image
Im constantly feeling time passing (and slipping away), I just want to start getting some stuff out there. And then yes, its handy to have it all in one place because now when I start anything, I can say, is it going to be able to replace anything on that video...and then hopefully, I'll have enough work to start making dedicated reels.

# 4 25-11-2010 , 02:02 PM
The Nurb Herd
add some titles for the different sections. ie matte painting, modeling and texturing.

add your email and contact details at the end, and your name and title at the start.

how did you do your wire frame? it looks like smooth preview which is not a great way to show a wireframe. i use a toon outline and render it.

I agree the guns are too dark, you could maybe put the hand gun and the rifle in the same shot.
I think the wood on the rifle is too shiny. also the ground the hind is on is super reflective.

if you ask me, this is a modeling and matte painting show reel. I would say a generalist would have animation, matchmove, shading and lighting, etc... but i'm a generalist and mine doesn't user added image (i don't actually have a demo reel)

I like everything except the dragon image at the end. Its too terry pratchett for me.

# 5 25-11-2010 , 02:38 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by hammer.horror
add some titles for the different sections. ie matte painting, modeling and texturing.

add your email and contact details at the end, and your name and title at the start.

how did you do your wire frame? it looks like smooth preview which is not a great way to show a wireframe. i use a toon outline and render it.

I agree the guns are too dark, you could maybe put the hand gun and the rifle in the same shot.
I think the wood on the rifle is too shiny. also the ground the hind is on is super reflective.

if you ask me, this is a modeling and matte painting show reel. I would say a generalist would have animation, matchmove, shading and lighting, etc... but i'm a generalist and mine doesn't user added image (i don't actually have a demo reel)

I like everything except the dragon image at the end. Its too terry pratchett for me.

user added image

Good ideas.
I hadnt even thought about the contact details at the end.

The wireframe I did two ways. The wires on the magnum and thompson at the start were done with the software render and the toon outline shader. This was on top of just a default blinn shader with default lighting. The wire on the Hind and the pulse was contour rendering with MR.

"if you ask me, this is a modeling and matte painting show reel.".... Is that ok? To have a modelling and matte painting showreel? Do people just mix and match areas like that?

All the generalist showreels I watched on youtube have animation, so yeah, I was dubious about saying this is one of them.

# 6 25-11-2010 , 03:12 PM
The Nurb Herd
are you looking for jobs as a matte painter who can model or a modeller who can do matte painting?

# 7 25-11-2010 , 03:31 PM
Subscriber
To be honest, Id just like an 'in' somewhere. I figure the only way I'll ever really get work in a games company or a production house, or wherever, would be to start in a very entry level position. Because Im not formally educated in any of this stuff (degree being in English Studies and Fine Art). Like, you were a 'data cop(user added image)' weren't you? I would be as happy modelling as matte painting, or texturing. I feel I have some 'build-onable' skills now in two or three areas, im pretty easy when it comes to which area to focus on. Why do you ask?

# 8 25-11-2010 , 04:09 PM
The Nurb Herd
just asking because it might help you focus your reel in a specific direction.

yeah i started as a runner for 6 months and worked my way into the 3d department via data wrangling. which is why i don't really have a reel all put together. I think its a good way to get your foot in the door. Its tough getting into the industry with no experience. Generally people will get more technical jobs. like matchmoving or systems and work their way in that way. i think if we get a new junior it will probably be someone who already works in the company.

hey speaking of contour shading, thats how this was done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA2qQTgmmYY
my first chinese advert! user added image

edit: just noticed that emoticon looks like a 1940s disney chinese/japanese man.

Last edited by honestdom; 25-11-2010 at 04:11 PM.
# 9 25-11-2010 , 04:26 PM
Subscriber
Yeah, as a runner or anything would be good. I often think I'm not good enough, but in all jobs theres an element of learning the ropes isnt there. A contact of mine at Blizzard Entertainment says that they're always having people in to help teach and develop new skills, so you cant always be expected to be the finished article, especially when new software and approaches come out so often. I guess its as much a case of luck as anything. Did you 'cold' apply for a runners position or did you see the position advertised somewhere?

user added image yeah, I always see that in that emoticon.

Did you work on that advert?

# 10 25-11-2010 , 05:48 PM
The Nurb Herd
yeah i just applied got told they had nothing available but to try in 3 months time.
I sent an email saying that i will apply in 3 months because i want to work for this company.
they emailed back saying they can give me a temporary contract as a runner for a couple of weeks. that was 2 years ago. user added image
I think its the best way to get in, for people like us that have not studied 3d.

btw, there is not a day that goes by that i don't ask a question about something. I keep telling my mate this (he is also looking for work) that they know they are not employing a finished product at this level. So just showing an understanding of the programs and showing a willingness to learn and work hard is enough.
...i guess.

yeah i modelled the razor and other things, and also did some other bits and bobs.

# 11 25-11-2010 , 05:59 PM
Subscriber
I actually thought...'nice razor' user added image ..........The logistics of rendering and compositing a project like that must be exhaustive.

user added image

Well. I believe that is what I have (willingness and eagerness).

Ive added in some titles and contact details. ...much better.

# 12 25-11-2010 , 08:02 PM
Good stuff Ben,

Things to look at in the future, watch your camera moves and cuts with the first model. The chopper is great next time slow the turn down just abit, the slower it turns the less turns you will need to show off you work.

Your background scenes are amazing really impressed with them.

Keep it up

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 13 25-11-2010 , 10:02 PM
Administrator
What a great ad hammer, I love ituser added image

Ben, I think "Ben Hobden - Modeler & Matte Painter" clings quite nicely as an intro screen. What about lighting though? I love your matte paintings as well, you get great colors and I remember that room scene you posted a few months back. I think you could become a really good lighting artist if you wanted to. There's so many good modelers but it's quite rare to see a great lighting reel.

A few things on your reel that I'm thinking, one is that you have turntable models and matte paintings which are so different and a show reel needs to flow as one video. I think it would work better if you displayed your models with a camera animation and caught an interesting angle sweeping the models rather than multiple spins because it feels like the transition is too hard. If you want turntables in this case limit them to one 360 spin only it would work much better.

Another thing is the matte paintings, I really like how you zoomed on them it really helps bring them to life. But some of them were just displayed without the zoom and for me that cut off the nice flow and made it feel a bit stuttery.

The most important thing for a show reel is of course less is moreuser added image Include only your best work, bringing in stuff that's not as good as the rest takes down the overall impression. Industry studios would go through tons of reels and most look the same after a while and you need something to catch a persons attention in a show reel and stand out from the rest, that's why you're much better off working really hard on very few pieces and doing them extremly well because that way you can display true talent rather than trying to show off too much. I think this is the most common place where show reels fail and I've seen some great ones based on only two scenes so something to keep in mind.

Jeremy Birn of course has some good tips if you haven't read them already https://3drender.com/jobs/top10.htm

# 14 25-11-2010 , 10:44 PM
Subscriber
Thankyou Kurt. Really pleased that you like.

Originally posted by Miss_Nova
What a great ad hammer, I love ituser added image

Ben, I think "Ben Hobden - Modeler & Matte Painter" clings quite nicely as an intro screen. What about lighting though? I love your matte paintings as well, you get great colors and I remember that room scene you posted a few months back. I think you could become a really good lighting artist if you wanted to. There's so many good modelers but it's quite rare to see a great lighting reel.

A few things on your reel that I'm thinking, one is that you have turntable models and matte paintings which are so different and a show reel needs to flow as one video. I think it would work better if you displayed your models with a camera animation and caught an interesting angle sweeping the models rather than multiple spins because it feels like the transition is too hard. If you want turntables in this case limit them to one 360 spin only it would work much better.

Another thing is the matte paintings, I really like how you zoomed on them it really helps bring them to life. But some of them were just displayed without the zoom and for me that cut off the nice flow and made it feel a bit stuttery.

The most important thing for a show reel is of course less is moreuser added image Include only your best work, bringing in stuff that's not as good as the rest takes down the overall impression. Industry studios would go through tons of reels and most look the same after a while and you need something to catch a persons attention in a show reel and stand out from the rest, that's why you're much better off working really hard on very few pieces and doing them extremly well because that way you can display true talent rather than trying to show off too much. I think this is the most common place where show reels fail and I've seen some great ones based on only two scenes so something to keep in mind.

Jeremy Birn of course has some good tips if you haven't read them already https://3drender.com/jobs/top10.htm

Nilla, I havnt read those tips, they're really good.

I agree with the less is more. I wasnt sure that I had enough matte paintings to make a showreel. The dragon picture at the end isnt really a matte painting to my mind. I will possibly be attempting another matte in a couple of weeks. Im coming to the end of a Nuke Workshop, and the techniques at the end of that cover some camera projection which I should put into practice. My temp Nuke license will expire not long after though, so will see what happens.

I think all the images do zoom, but Ive seen in some presentations of matte painting work that artists show their base plates that they worked from to illustrate the work that theyve done on top. Where I tried to do this I kept the images static so that the end result would line up with the base image.

Agreed with the turntable problems. Im going to rerender out some passing shots of the first pulse rifle tonight, and gradually rerender the other pieces over the coming days.

# 15 25-11-2010 , 11:22 PM
Administrator
I don't know what's standard for a matte painting reel, but it looks like you have enough. I just watched it again and it does flow nicely you're right and the transitions look great, I think I just got distracted by the turntables the first time I watched it.

Those tips by Jeremy do make sense, I haven't really thought about it before because normally I'd make a turntable spin a few laps but it seems reasonable that you should keep it under one as it could just be paused and you'd get the full model. I don't like making turntables, it's difficult to catch a good angle that works a lot of the time.

The winter landscape with the snow is very pretty made me stop for a while.