Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 22-10-2003 , 03:52 PM

SubDivisions rendering in Mental ray, pelase help!

Hi, using Maya 5.0.

I have modeled my character with subd's, (mostly in poly proxy mode).

I have come to render, (with mental ray), and the sub-d surface is not rendered, with the script editior giving the following error....

"Error: (Mayatomr.Geometry) : polyToSubdShape1HistPoly: no material assigned, ignored"

I would convert to polys, but it is for animation, and would rather keep the smoothness of sub-d. Converting to nurbs gives me loads of seperate surfaces, which is not a good option, (easy way to stitch them to a single surface??).

Many thanks guys user added imageuser added image

# 2 22-10-2003 , 03:56 PM
I think you only option is to convert to poly's and do a smooth poly or smooth proxy.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Then again I don't own version 5 yet so I don't know if it's just a different problem.

...and that is how I saved the world.
# 3 22-10-2003 , 04:14 PM
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, it renders in Mental fine when converted to polys or nurbs.

Poly's are not a smooth when animating, and nurbs conversion makes way too many seperate surfaces user added image

ARGH!

Hehe.

# 4 22-10-2003 , 05:27 PM
Subscriber
Mental Ray can only render subd's with ONLY 4:sided polys. No triangles or 5-sided. So either convert to polys or 'clean' it up. Some models are very difficult to keep quad-sided only and such must be converted to polys before rendering with MR.

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 5 22-10-2003 , 06:10 PM
I didn't know that... kewl.

...and that is how I saved the world.
# 6 23-10-2003 , 01:18 PM
Subscriber
to render sub d in maya, Finish all modeling then do Sub d>clean up , then do Collapse Subdivison level 1. your sub d's will render in mental ray.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 7 23-10-2003 , 04:48 PM

Originally posted by iron_tick
to render sub d in maya, Finish all modeling then do Sub d>clean up , then do Collapse Subdivison level 1. your sub d's will render in mental ray.

Many, many thanks! My uni project continues!!!!

user added image user added image user added image user added image user added image