Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 30-07-2004 , 03:37 PM
Subscriber

PS2 help please!!

Hey guys.

I was wondering if any of you lot know the best way to go about modelling a Playstation 2 console? I want to model one really well, but am unsure how to go about it. Would NURBS or poly's be best? I'm also unsure how to create the grooves where the CD drive and memory card slots are, all of the edges are nicely rounded on the real thing, I'm unsure how to recreate this.

Any advice is greatly recieved.

Thanks

LisaG :o)

# 2 30-07-2004 , 03:48 PM
The Maya Mountain
I'd use polys.

# 3 30-07-2004 , 03:57 PM
Ya polys would i think be the easiest to do for a PS2...

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 4 30-07-2004 , 04:07 PM
Subscriber
ill just add myself to the list of yeah, use poly's

# 5 03-08-2004 , 01:52 AM
Use polys. Ide say make the cd tray and the system seperate objects. that would help with the seem.

Other than that if need be you coudl always boolean it.

# 6 17-08-2004 , 10:36 PM
Technical Director
I my self would use nurbs curves. and then loft them, and then convert to polys to combine them. just to save time extruding. You could also use the create poly tool to make the grooves.

Hope this helps.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 7 13-09-2004 , 01:00 PM
Model piece by piece with polys!First try 2 model the body than conectors, slots...

# 8 15-09-2004 , 10:41 AM
if you are going to use polys (and convert to sub-d's afterwards to get rounded edges) then make sure you add extra vertices (by spliting polygons) all the way around the edges, that way you will have slightly rounded edged and you won't lose the shape of the PS2. If you are only modelling the outside of the PS2, then use curves and loft them into a NURBS object if you are planning on having the disctray open, then use polys and create the disc tray seperate. to create the main body you could start from a basic poly cube and extrude all the grooves or you could texture the groves in (using a very clean-cut bump map, bear in mind though that this won't bump the edges). to make the disc tray again either loft some curves or start from a poly-cube (but instead of extruding (which can become very messy at times) why not try splitting (not subdividing) the polygon faces using the
edit polygons>split polygon tool
, if you do it right you'll find you'll have much more control over the final shape (and it can help with texturing because you will have made all the edges and know how they are arranged in the UV editor)