Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 03-01-2003 , 02:33 AM

Mac mice

I'm just wondering how do Mac users who only have a 1 button mice do the whole zoom, move & rotate thing?

# 2 03-01-2003 , 03:19 AM
You can edit your maya environment variables to use only one mouse button along with modifier keys to navigate the view panel. Not as fast as 3 buttons, but it works just as well.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 3 03-01-2003 , 03:35 AM
Subscriber

MacMouse

We buy a Logitech or Microsoft USB 3button mouse. The new version of Maya, 4.2 also has these comands in the shelf.

# 4 09-01-2003 , 12:08 AM
is there any difference in maya for a mac then maya for a pc.. other then the shortcut command things.

# 5 09-01-2003 , 01:29 AM
Only big difference is there is no Unlimited on Mac, and some plugins don't work (those usually require Windows-specific code). Otherwise, they work the same. Heck, you can even use Control shortcuts instead of the Apple/Command key.

There are actually a few neat things you can do on the Mac version of Maya that you can't really do on Windows (that I know of...):

1) You have access to an additional modifier key, the Command key. For you Windows users, imagine if you could use that stupid Windows start menu key on your keyboard for addition hotkey combos. On my Mac, I've created hotkey combos using control, option (alt), command, and shift. I miss that when I switch to my PC.

2) You can tear off menus from the Hotbox. I don't use it much (hotbox is a bit slow for me on the mac), but it can be handy sometimes.

3) Transparency is supported on shelf buttons. Basically, the shelf knocks out the neutral gray color if it is present in the shelf button image. Subtle touch, but nice.

Mind you, none of these are essential. They're just kind of cool. user added image

Danny Ngan
# 6 09-01-2003 , 01:31 AM
woah thats pretty cool. but i thought they used macs at gnomon. wouldnt they want the unlimited version then? ehh.. i guess now user added image

# 7 09-01-2003 , 01:48 AM
I think they use both macs and pcs at Gnomon. Alex Alvarez just happens to use a Mac to make the training videos, which don't need to focus on Unlimited all the time.

Danny Ngan