Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 12-06-2010 , 01:15 PM

Mental Ray Blurry texture

Hey Guys,

My turn for a question!

Ran into a strange problem that I've never had before, I fixed it but wondered if anyone knows why it might happen.

I've got a textured model with an image file for the colour map. I set the filter to mipmap and rendered a close up of the object usign Mental Ray and parts of the texture are really blurred (Its fine in software)

To solve it I set the filer to none and its ok.

Anyone ever had this problem or may know whats going on?

Cheers

Steve

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 2 12-06-2010 , 01:26 PM
The Nurb Herd
a filter in most graphic programs is just another word for a blur... perhaps the filter in your render settings combined with the filter in the texture settings just made it too blurry.

# 3 12-06-2010 , 01:44 PM
True, Its just strange that when the object is a distance from the camera its fine, just when its close up, it gets really blurrey.

# 4 12-06-2010 , 05:06 PM
The Nurb Herd
makes sense if the texture is too small.

is it more than 4k?

# 5 12-06-2010 , 05:17 PM
Nope, it was a 1024 texture render as default res

# 6 12-06-2010 , 10:17 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Steve

sorry for the late post, yup its a dear old MR default. It has these weird and wonderful settings and in enough different ways to skin a cat.

the irony is that you can turn the blur off lower down under filter and its okay, yet turn it off under mip map and it seems to keep the default and greys the filter out, so one works one way and the other works the reverse - just arse.

I tend to switch the whole thing off as I assign every shader now, savs arsing back and going thru them all again.

later
Jay

# 7 12-06-2010 , 10:35 PM
Hey Jay,

Awesome man! Thought it was just me!

BTW your post was damm quick!

Cheers for the info mate, much appreciated.

Need to have a chat mate, need to send you a mail.

Cheers

Steve

# 8 12-06-2010 , 10:43 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yeah mate be good to catch up.

Also to sharpen up the texture for the render, switch the filter in the render globals to mitchell and to 3.5 in both boxes, it comes in as a default of 4 but the lower setting spikes it enough to make it pop.

Jay