Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 02-04-2011 , 03:46 PM
Subscriber

April Challenge-Low Poly Character-Tweetytunes-Ada from Parsite Eve

I am going to do the lovly Ada from Parasite Eve 1+2. One of the most underrated games I have ever played - and still the only ever game I have imported because sony thought it was a good Idea not to release this in the UK. Eeeerrrrr. user added image

https://www.ravage3d.com/images/Game/Ref1.jpg

This really is the only game (apart from FF7) I wish they would remake.

Any way in both games the character was kick ass - but done up too much like a sexy icon (A little bit like what they did to tombraider 2 up words) - so I`m going to bring it back to a much more realistic level. They also did not do good job with her face. She was meant to be part Asian part American but looks like a cheap manga character. Therefor I am going to be using the actress Dichen Lachman as ref as she is part asian and part Australian (close enough i think) and started in the show "Doll house" where she was put into a number of different action scenes that are perfect ref for my character. (I have all eps on Bluray) But plz note this will not be a photo perfect match to Dichen - just more a likeness.

Dichen ref images

Lets see where this takes me .....

Last edited by tweetytunes; 02-04-2011 at 04:00 PM.
# 2 02-04-2011 , 09:45 PM
The thin red line
Are you sure you are not into little black dresses tweeny...LOL..........dave

# 3 02-04-2011 , 10:07 PM
Subscriber
HAHAHAHAHAHA - In fact thats the very reason I want to re due her - she a tough NYPD cop not some slut in a dress. Ok the story starts with her at the opera (thats why shes in the dress) but even after that she has a short top on and silly shower scenes. Time for this girl to grow up and get real.

Some clothing ref

https://www.ravage3d.com/images/Game/Ref2.jpg

Made a start on the head tonight but nothing to show off yet. Getting alittle distracted by the fact I can now play this and other ps1 games on my mobile phone - sweeet

Last edited by tweetytunes; 02-04-2011 at 11:02 PM.
# 4 03-04-2011 , 08:48 PM
Subscriber
Re-playing this game is the best ref ever - so much fun - but I have been doing some work as well.

Got the head blocked out, but I`m thinking if I don`t get the hair right the whole thing is not going to work. Sat down and watched a training video on how to make game character hair and then read a website (link here) and got some good results from that - so going to redo it but this time for this character - hoping to have some progress in a few hours.

My G.F. thinks I should do the black dress outfit as it is how most people know the character and is the start of the game. - so I might try and find time to do that as well as the standard uniform, but def-o a after thought not the main project.

Last edited by tweetytunes; 04-04-2011 at 12:21 AM.
# 5 04-04-2011 , 12:52 AM
Subscriber
Well I think I`m really happy with me hair - here is a quick test

**** Sorry video freaked out - will reupload it 2mo ******

Temp Image until I sort out video
https://www.ravage3d.com/images/Game/Temp.jpg

(Plz note I know you can see the edge of the plains on the hair but its because I used final gather in the render - just forgot to turn that off - they don`t turn up if I turn that off)

Shape of the head no where near finished (and therefore so is the shape of the hair) but as I said before without being able to get the hair right I did not see much sense in carrying on with this project and was going to try a different character. But I think I`m safe to carry on. Back to work on the face 2mo.

Last edited by tweetytunes; 04-04-2011 at 01:01 AM.
# 6 04-04-2011 , 04:31 AM
Subscriber
hey tweetytunes,
Long time no see. lol
Good progress thus far.
digging the hair.
What tutorial did u use to learn how to do hair like that?

# 7 04-04-2011 , 04:51 AM
Subscriber
oh dude, i've never been able to play that game (due to insufficient funds at the time, and now i dont know where it is. although i think they are going to put it on the psn? or maybe thats a different game)

how many polys are you at so far?

also.. IT'S ROCKY MILLS! user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 8 04-04-2011 , 08:58 AM
Subscriber
I used a web page that I posted earlier to get it looking a lot better. (Its in the post before the image).

Parasite eve is up on PSN in japan and USA for sure but still no date for it here in the uk - so would prefer a remake - I never got round to playing number 2 but think that will change if it gets a PSN release.

At the mo Hair and face 3050 Tri`s but will be re-working the face a little today so I think that may go up. But I think thats a good number to start.

Last edited by Miss_Nova; 04-04-2011 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Sites that don't allow external links on their forum will not have theirs here
# 9 04-04-2011 , 10:03 AM
Subscriber
Looking good. And thanks for sharing the hair tutorial link.

# 10 04-04-2011 , 10:51 AM
Subscriber
Very good! user added image With this speed you will finish your work to the end of this week user added image

# 11 04-04-2011 , 11:00 AM
Subscriber
I am known for my speed - but got alot on this week (interview 2 days time) and this is still a very early stage - the hair was a must to get right so spent most of the time there so far - the face is a little basic in that render but tweaked it now as you can see...

No problem about the hair tut - its a really good tut and needs to be shared.

Think the head almost done - need to get some eyes in there next - but liking what I got so far - here is some wires

https://www.ravage3d.com/images/Game/Ada_1_1.jpg

Oh and from now on will only be counting quads as I hate tri`s with a passion and I only work with quads. I know its a game challenge but I just don`t care. There are many polys I think I could tri up in places (Neck and ear defo) but going to keep mesh clean until I get to the end.

Last edited by tweetytunes; 04-04-2011 at 11:07 AM.
# 12 04-04-2011 , 04:47 PM
Super Moderator
Oh snap! That's looking pretty good! user added image

- Genny
# 13 04-04-2011 , 06:34 PM
Subscriber
YouTube - Ada upper body test

Just a small update - upper body getting there - hands are a little high poly at mo - chest area will be covered with combat vest.

# 14 04-04-2011 , 07:37 PM
The thin red line
Nice work Tweeny...........dave

Edit: Tweeny were did you get the hair tutorial would like to have a look dave

Last edited by daverave; 04-04-2011 at 07:39 PM.
# 15 04-04-2011 , 08:35 PM
Subscriber
Cheers

Both the video (not free - sorry) and website (this is free) links are posted above - read threads not skim thought.

I`ll b nice here they are again

Free hair tut - webpage

Last edited by Miss_Nova; 04-04-2011 at 11:50 PM. Reason: As above