Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 10-09-2005 , 06:12 AM
Subscriber

curvy meshes

i am modeling a dodge viper
the bonnet is very curvy by keeping the shape as basic as possible for as long as i can i can get smooth shape, but when i cut holes in it for vents etc, and sharpen the corners of the holes
i get ghostly ripples in the render, they are a pain, is it just a case of pulling and pushing loads of verts or am i missing a trick?

really appreciate you guys taking the time to read this.

# 2 10-09-2005 , 10:21 AM
Subscriber
If you're using smooth poly or sub-d's you should make sure that all (or as many as possible) of your faces are quads, otherwise you will get some pinching in the areas that has 3/5 sided faces.

If your problem is that a curve straightens out whenever you add a new edge, it's because you need to tweak. The more vertices/edges you have in a straight line, the straighter the smoothed mesh will be, and when adding a line between two existing ones, they automatically end up aligned. Hope this makes sense, it's a bit tricky to explain user added image

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 3 10-09-2005 , 11:23 AM
Subscriber
cheers mate

i think it may be a problem of using polys rather than nurbs when you have a square hole on a curved surface you end up with a collection of small quads to define the corner and i think as you say they are tending to straighten out and project the corner away from the surface.

thanks for that.nurbs scare me rigid by the way

# 4 10-09-2005 , 11:47 AM
Subscriber
If you're having trouble, try placing the first vertex (when splitting from the hole and out) close to the corner, and the next ones in the middle of the faces all the way out to the edge. That way you'll have a sharp edge at the hold, and more distance between your lines outwards, which will make it easier to tweak.

Yeah nurbs can seem pretty scary, but if you take the time to get to know them, they can be pretty awesome user added image

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"