Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 01-06-2008 , 10:03 PM

Boolean ....union

Hi . i am doing the basic human form tutorial and am tryng to do a boolean ..[union ] on the head and the upper body. Am doing everthing as instructed but when i hit union my head & body disappears like they have been deleted. Were am i going wrong:headbang: :headbang:

keep moving 4ward
# 2 01-06-2008 , 10:53 PM
Lifetime Member
There are a few reasons why the geo can disappear when trying to perform a boolean but one of the most comon reasons is that not all the geometry is intersecting.Have a look around the geometry and make sure that all the vertices on first piece are inside the second piece of geo that you want to join with.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 01-06-2008 , 11:23 PM
thankx am trying but i still cannot get it? :headbang:

keep moving 4ward
# 4 01-06-2008 , 11:37 PM
Lifetime Member
Ok another possible cause is that the normals are not facing the same on both pieces of geometry, not sure what version of MAYA you are using but you should be able to check the normals of an object by selecting it and under the Display tab by going to polygon components and selecting face normals.If you find that the normals are not facing out one piece then revoerse the normals on that piece and try the union again.
Also deleting the history is a good idea befor performing a boolean.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 5 02-06-2008 , 07:20 AM
Subscriber
Another possibility is that you used the 'isolate select\view selected' option on the head and body. If this is the case you will not see the result of the boolean operation until you uncheck the 'view selected'

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Brains; 02-06-2008 at 07:25 AM.