Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 07-12-2010 , 03:40 PM
Subscriber

Dog Model

After finishing the tutorial on how to model a dog, I went to convert from polygons to subdiv, yet nothing was happening. I then went back to before I joined the two halves and it worked perfectly. I have adjusted the slider to the maximum value and still nothing. This might mean that there is to much geometry?

I was planning on rigging this model in the future, so if anyone could assist me with this problem it would be appreciated.

# 2 07-12-2010 , 08:20 PM
Subscriber
is there an error message on the status line at the bottom?
if it says something about a polygon limit then you should up that in the subdivide options

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 08-12-2010 , 11:12 AM
Subscriber

Dog Model

This is exactley what's showing up.

editMenuUpdate("MayaWindow|mainEditMenu");
ModObjectsMenu MayaWindow|mainModifyMenu;
CreateSubdivSurfaceOptions;
performSubdivCreate 1;
subdivCreateCallback OptionBoxWindow|formLayout86|tabLayout2|formLayout 87|tabLayout6|columnLayout18 1;
deleteInternalValence2Verts |polySurface14|polySurfaceShape25;
polyToSubdiv -ap 0 -ch off -aut on -maxPolyCount 10000 -maxEdgesPerVert 32 |polySurface14|polySurfaceShape25;
autoUpdateAttrEd;
updateAnimLayerEditor("AnimLayerTab");
statusLineUpdateInputField;

Any ideas?

# 4 08-12-2010 , 08:09 PM
Subscriber

polyToSubdiv -ap 0 -ch off -aut on -maxPolyCount 10000 -maxEdgesPerVert 32 |polySurface14|polySurfaceShape25;
a

im sure you can figure it out user added image

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 5 09-12-2010 , 12:25 AM
EduSciVis-er
maxPolyCount is set to 10,000, so increase that in your options.

Yeah, spell it out, Chirone.

# 6 09-12-2010 , 02:14 AM
Subscriber
aww but now you just spoon fed him the answer..

but i suppose reading that log is probably not that easy...

# 7 09-12-2010 , 09:53 PM
Subscriber
Thanks very much. I do have one query though. How do I increase the max poly count past 10,000?

I have clicked on the box beside "Poly to subdiv” and dragged the "maximum base mesh faces" slider to the top which is 10,000. I have also tried typing a number in, yet nothing happens. Is there some other option box that I need to open?

If you know any solution it would be appreciated greatly, thanks.

subdivCreateCallback OptionBoxWindow|formLayout86|tabLayout2|formLayout 88|tabLayout3|columnLayout17 1; hideOptionBox;
deleteInternalValence2Verts |polySurface14|polySurfaceShape25;
polyToSubdiv -ap 0 -ch off -aut on -maxPolyCount 100000 -maxEdgesPerVert 32 |polySurface14|polySurfaceShape25;
autoUpdateAttrEd;
updateAnimLayerEditor("AnimLayerTab");
statusLineUpdateInputField;
if (`window -exists OptionBoxWindow`) deleteUI -window OptionBoxWindow;
saveOptionBoxSize();

# 8 10-12-2010 , 10:28 AM
yep. what they said.

Oh in an attempt to actually add a useful bit of information - In the lower right hand corner of the UI there is a little icon that looks like a window. This brings up the SCRIPT EDITOR, which has a command output history on by default. If you do not have the maxpolycount set high enough, maya actually gives you a message to the effect "maxpolycount exceeded, try increasing". Which is rare, as programmers usually like to add more arcane error messages along the lines - "operation failed - error 34". user added image

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 10-12-2010 at 11:21 AM.