Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 08-03-2011 , 12:21 AM

shatter effect question

Hey guys Im very very new to Maya and am trying to do a shatter effect on a poly model I made. I successfully shattered a primitive sphere, but when I try to do this on the model I made I get this error.

crackShatter( "crackShatter", 5, 200, 0, 0, 0, 0, 4, "rigid bodies with collisions off", 1, 0);
// Error: Selection not valid for crack shatter. Please select exactly one vertex or CV, and nothing else. //
// Error: An error occurred while running the Crack Shatter script. Results may be invalid. If necessary, undo to restore the previous situation. //
// Warning: The script editor must contain at least one executer tab. //

I am doing the exact same thing that I did with the sphere. I have the model in object mode, delete the history and freeze transformations. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

# 2 08-03-2011 , 12:42 AM
are u using the default shatter effect that may provides?

# 3 08-03-2011 , 02:02 AM
yes. I go into effects, then the shatter options box. When i try to do a solid shatter and click create, it gives me that error.

# 4 08-03-2011 , 05:16 AM
Subscriber
Did you read the error message? The answer is there

I did what you did, i selected a sphere and did a cracked shatter and it gave the same error
then i did what the error message said to do and it worked

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 5 08-03-2011 , 03:41 PM
same here..also i have found a different way to do some really cool shatter effect using ncloths they look really sweet if u want to know how i can show u or i guess technically tell u. soo just lemme know hope it works! user added image

# 6 26-12-2013 , 01:21 PM

Delete by type

Hello, I know it is a very old tread but maybe it could help some body.

Just select the object and go to: Edit/Delete By Type/History before applying the Shatter.
If you try to apply the shatter without deleting by type history you will get this error:
{An error occurred while running the Crack Shatter script. Results may be invalid. If necessary, undo to restore the previous situation.} And the shatter will not be successful.
Regards.