Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 23-01-2003 , 11:50 PM

Elf Warrior Queen, from a Newbie

Hello fellow Mayan's,

This is my first post here in the WIP forum, and I figured why not make it a good one. First, let me tell you my goals as a 3D aspiring artist. I'm an illustrator, of Childrens posters and pamphlet's. Most of what I do focuses on Anti-smoking or anti-alcohol, etc... So I usually don't get much opportunity to do the things I really would like to as an artist. My goals right now are to learn 3D, and implement it's abilities into my current 2D illustration.

In this post, I will build my first completely finished, ie, modeled, textured, and rigged character. I'm not really sure how it's going to turn out, but I'm sure it will be great. Anyway, any critiques, helpful hints, tutorials, etc. that you people of the forum want to share to help me reach this goal would be very much appreciated.

Without further ado, here is the image plane and concept art for the character I am doing. She is an elf, cheesy I know but I got to get it out of my system. I haven't really thought too much about her color, so that will come after I model her. Polys, and subd''s will be what I am using. Maybe Nurbs to start out with.

user added image

PS: Image drawn in Photoshop. VIVA LA COMPUTER!

# 2 23-01-2003 , 11:58 PM
Looks like fun. Can't wait to see your modeling progress.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 3 24-01-2003 , 12:10 AM
Subscriber
Love the design, it has a good set of details to it.

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 4 24-01-2003 , 01:30 AM
Subscriber
This is great stuff. A model would look awesome.

# 5 24-01-2003 , 02:02 AM
Nice concept drawing.... Looking forward to updates...

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 6 24-01-2003 , 03:11 AM
Thanks fellas. I'll have some geometry up by tomorrow. Nothing spectacular though. Just the rough layout of form so I can start. Hopefully you guys can give me some pointers on how to do shoulders. I hate shoulders.

# 7 25-01-2003 , 12:43 AM
Subscriber
Fantastic drawing. I can't wait to see the model. Don't keep us waiting!

# 8 25-01-2003 , 02:05 AM
I have two perspective shots of the geometry as it is on my site. It's not worthy of showing off yet, but if you care to take a peek it's here:

https://homepage.mac.com/chadtheartist/PhotoAlbum19.html

I was hoping to have more done with it today. But as it is I just got off work and am now getting to it. Maybe I'll have the head finished by tomorrow. Hopefully.

Peace

# 9 25-01-2003 , 02:07 AM
You're off to a good start. Keep it up.

And good to see another Mac Maya user in here. I was starting to feel lonely. user added image

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 10 25-01-2003 , 02:20 AM
Subscriber
Wow. Nice art work and models. One thing, though. You need a password to see your resume and you state that you can get one if the person who wants a password contacts you. How does he go about doing that? You don't provide an E-mail link or anything.

# 11 25-01-2003 , 03:39 AM
Oh, yes. The infamous resume question. Heh. There's a link on the main page. Or click here: chadtheartist@mac.com It's under the HOME PAGE logo with the little guy sitting on the turtle. But there's really not a whole lot to see on my resume. I haven't been working as an artist very long, and most of my work stinks. Just to be honest. If you're still curious as to my credentials, the password is Moses.

My head, err, the girls head is almost done. I'll post it soon. And yes, it's rare to find another Mac user, especially in the Maya forums. So loneliness comes with the territory I suppose. Heh

# 12 25-01-2003 , 05:07 AM
yeah this is sexy. girl im friends dresses like that funny huh.

# 13 25-01-2003 , 04:34 PM
Now she's starting to get there. Here are two shots of the head in progress. Wireframe and Smoothed.

user added image

user added image

user added image

There are other shots on my site, which you can see by clicking here. Nothing too fancy yet, but it's getting there. user added image

Ulari Progress

Peace

Last edited by wchamlet; 25-01-2003 at 05:04 PM.
# 14 26-01-2003 , 02:47 AM
OK. Now I'm getting somewhere. I've got most of the torso done, aside from the back which I need to find more reference for to get it looking right. I'm not too happy with the stomach muscles either, so that's probably going to change. Anyway, here's some pics, and a Link to some of the more, revealing images.

user added image

user added image

I covered all the, ahem, important features of the models, so it's not that bad. But those who are 18 and under, or are offended by semi-nudity, should use discretion when you go here.

https://homepage.mac.com/chadtheartist/PhotoAlbum19.html

The torso is, like I said earlier, almost finished. I think I'm not going to model the legs and forearms as detailed as I did the top part of the figure. What's your guys opinion?

# 15 26-01-2003 , 01:54 PM
Subscriber
Wow, I think its awesome. Nice modelling technique. Its actually your thread that got me started on my own face project (not near as good as yours).

Looking forward to see further development on this model.

Kühl