Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 28-11-2013 , 11:28 AM

Instancer variable Transparency

Hi Folks,

does anybody know if it´s possible to set random Transparency for each Instancer Mesh?

e.g.
I have created a Particle Grid with the Particle Tool. Then I assigned via Instancer Function a Poly Square Plane to the Particles so I end up with a Grid made of Squares.

Now what I want is that the Transparency for each instanced Square is randomised (and not one Transparency Value for all)

I tried to handle that with a Single Switch Node and the following expression:

Code:
float $OI = sss.objectId;
seed(123 + $OI);
ss.outTransparencyR = rand ($OI)%100/100;
ss.outTransparencyG = rand ($OI)%100/100;
ss.outTransparencyB = rand ($OI)%100/100;
but the Result is very strange (see the Picture / rendered with Maya Software / Maya 2011)

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 30-11-2013 , 08:55 PM
Super Moderator
If you've set the particles to have random transparency, then the particleSampler node could be used to pass on that info to a shader I should think.

- Genny
# 3 02-12-2013 , 12:00 PM
I tried to work with particleSampler Node but I didn´t get it .. could you give an example?

# 4 05-12-2013 , 06:59 PM
Super Moderator
I looked into it and the brick wall full force lol. Looks like this is a limitation (a damn sad one at that since people have been asking for it for years), the per particle information can't be passed to the shader on the instanced geometry. This has really grabbed my curiosity.

- Genny
# 5 09-12-2013 , 08:46 AM
wow that´s realy sad - seems to be a very basic functionality maya is lacking here :-(

thanks anyway for your help :-)