Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 18-03-2005 , 08:59 AM

Newbie At Work - BARFF

This is my first crack at Maya.

A small film festival here in country Australia (www.barff.com.au) has a logo of a Border Collie. Next year will be our third year and we wanted to go for BARFF 3D.

user added image

user added image

Still got a fair way to go.

Just wanted to say G'Day and introduce myself.

# 2 19-03-2005 , 09:20 PM
Nice model. It could wear a suit, I think it would look cool then.

# 3 19-03-2005 , 10:09 PM

BARFF

Thanks. This is the base model and when I start to learn how to put clothes on them then yeah, he'll be wearing a 'costume'.

Here's some of the sketches I've been working off. You can see here that he has quite a few different outfits.

user added image

user added image

But as i said, I'm really new to this so the basic model will have to do.

I have made one mistake though. I coloured it with all these new blinn's as I was going. And from what I've read on these forums it should be to create the basic model first and then texture it.

Can the blinn's be deleted?

# 4 19-03-2005 , 10:15 PM
Subscriber
No need to delete, if you may use them later. Open up hypershade, select all the objects in the model, then right click on the basic lambert in hypershade. From the marking menu select assign material to selected (of something to that affect). This will give it back the basic gray lambert and leave you defined blinns for use later on.

Love the sketches. Pretty good imitation of Frank Miller's Dark Knight, but my favorite has to be the Indianna Jones riff.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 5 19-03-2005 , 10:34 PM
Ahhh haa. Excellent. Thanks for that.

I have to admit I've got a bit of a soft spot for the Indiana Jones sketch myself.

# 6 20-03-2005 , 05:33 AM
The model seems decent so far, and those are some great sketches.

# 7 20-03-2005 , 07:04 AM
The sketches were done by a mate of mine (thanks Dave). Very talented bloke. He's about to start an animated short film soon.

Here's a small update. Been connecting all the pieces but am having a problem with the Boolean operation in that it will make the pieces disappear.

user added image

----------------------------------
A hardtop, with a decent engine, and make sure it's got a big BARFF.
# 8 20-03-2005 , 07:22 AM
Subscriber
Booleans are pretty picky. Intersection has to deep enough, vertices can't be too closely spaced, no weird (edges swapped, face missing, or normals reversed). Depending on what you trying to boolean, an alternative may be the comine, delete faces from where they'll join then merging or appending the edges.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."