Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 28-09-2006 , 09:34 AM

budget laptop

Yea... so i'm planning to buy a new laptop. It would be used mostly for 3d and a bit of programming and the usual MS Office stuff and a bit of adobe products. My budget for the laptop is $ 300-500, including the shipping price. Any suggestions guys? I know it's not much but I'm not looking for a really good one either. By the way, the 3d app is Maya 7 Unlimited.

Thanks in Advance

~The Computer Is A Moron~
# 2 28-09-2006 , 09:40 AM
You could definatly get a laptop for that price, but no too sure that you could get one that will run Maya well.

What I mean is that the graphics card has quite a bit to play in maya (for displaying textures etc), and they come at a price that will probably be over your budget.

# 3 28-09-2006 , 12:02 PM
Subscriber
yer, im after a laptop too. for many reasons. Im married and being on my p.c 20 hours a day is a BIT unsociable.

So im after a laptop to sit in bed or in front of the tv.

However, i think im gonna have to wait, coz i want as powerful one as i can afford.

Shop about tho man.

ebay is a good betuser added image

those who succeed are only the failures that never gave up.

https://www.vimeo.com/7080130
# 4 28-09-2006 , 12:10 PM

Originally posted by mr pix.
yer, im after a laptop too. for many reasons. Im married and being on my p.c 20 hours a day is a BIT unsociable.

So im after a laptop to sit in bed or in front of the tv.

However, i think im gonna have to wait, coz i want as powerful one as i can afford.

Shop about tho man.

ebay is a good betuser added image

Ebay is full of scammers though...

@gster
Not even low poly chars? I really don't go into such high polys anyway...

# 5 28-09-2006 , 12:26 PM
Subscriber
I would just wait until you save enough and get a decent laptop, or one that could run maya with no probs, if you opt for a budget one you will be pi$$ed off when it comes to rendering even panning around your model if you do decide to have a busy scene. I held back and bought an alienware, ok it cost like £2000 but is well worth it I no longer get that feeling of wanting to skim the mouse the length of the room when its 'stuttering' as it runs ever so fluid now.

Ps Stay away from ebay it's not worth the hassle.

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 6 28-09-2006 , 01:34 PM
The thing is, to me, you wont stay doing low poly all the time, but that wouldent really matter as a budget PC would probably have an internal graphics card which wont really cut it with maya, plus your probably going to rig and animate, which will still slow the PC down quite a bit.

I'd save up a bit first and then look, if not look for a decent graphics card in one.

# 7 28-09-2006 , 08:58 PM
Hmmm. Yea, the best thing to do would to be to save $$$. Thanks guys. I wonder how long it'll take me lol.