Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 29-01-2008 , 03:12 AM

Tiling textures

Hi,

you can tile them in photoshop yourself, or you can use the 2d/3d placement node to repeat it in the x or y direction, but is there another way to tile textures. Is it correct to do it by repeating them in the placement node?

Also, is it more efficient on your system to tile a texture within Maya, rather than tile it and create a larger texture in photoshop?

cheers,

gubar

# 2 29-01-2008 , 03:45 AM
well the larger the texture file, the more maya has to do to process it. if you have a smaller texture file and then tile it in maya, maya is just reusing the information... in order to make sure the texture doesn't look bad tiled, you have to take it into photoshop or another photo editing program and pay attention to the borders. there's a tutorial here that might help. they're all over the place if you just know where to look.

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 29-01-2008 , 03:48 AM
Thanks for the post Neostrider.

I don't have a problem making tileable textures in photoshop. I wondered though if there was another way to tile them in Maya other than repeating it in the placement node. I was sure I'd seen another way in a tutorial though I've since lost it.

Thanks,

gubar