Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 31 25-12-2009 , 09:55 PM
Subscriber
and further still...

Attached Thumbnails
# 32 01-01-2010 , 02:11 AM
Subscriber
I added a ship to the left side of the picture.

Attached Thumbnails
# 33 01-01-2010 , 04:32 AM
Subscriber
is the focus of this picture meant to be on the creature, ship or the lion you have in the sky?

the light on the ship needs something done to it (not sure what though) because it looks somewhat out of place

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 34 01-01-2010 , 05:17 AM
Subscriber
damn it. you spotted the face in the sky! thats been bugging me as ive been working . im planning on cloning it out when i get back to working in that area.

as for the focus, the idea thats formed in my head for some reason , is of a (dont laugh!) dragon market. so the focus, will be the proccesion coming from the ship, which includes , and culminates with, the main dragon . i am thinking of adding one or two more, and have them tied together as if being led, cattle like, tomarket.

# 35 01-01-2010 , 05:30 AM
Subscriber
oh i thought that was on purpose...
you have three faces in the sky..
mufasa, a kermit the frog bear-like cartoon face and a warrior all looking ominously down at the evil trading ship (although the frog is smiling...)
change the frog into something more serious like the other two looking angrily at the ship and you've got yourself omnisient (can't spell) beings who look down at the cruel traders and think bad things user added image

also, the tip of the dragon's tail looks a bit too square and so it looks like its been cut off (dunno if there was a tip to the tail and your camera setup just cut it off)

yeah i think you shoud be able to pull off that scene of a dragon market. it does sound all blackmarket/underground stuff anmd with that ship there it just looks like it is blackmarket trading user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 36 01-01-2010 , 01:34 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Chirone
oh i thought that was on purpose...
you have three faces in the sky..
mufasa, a kermit the frog bear-like cartoon face and a warrior all looking ominously down at the evil trading ship (although the frog is smiling...)
change the frog into something more serious like the other two looking angrily at the ship and you've got yourself omnisient (can't spell) beings who look down at the cruel traders and think bad things user added image

also, the tip of the dragon's tail looks a bit too square and so it looks like its been cut off (dunno if there was a tip to the tail and your camera setup just cut it off)

yeah i think you shoud be able to pull off that scene of a dragon market. it does sound all blackmarket/underground stuff anmd with that ship there it just looks like it is blackmarket trading user added image

I had thought about leaving the mustafa one in, make it look like id been a bit clever, accentuate some features, but i think it clutters. I can see all 3 now. Damn it man, usually thats what i do... see faces in everything!!

All the files for the ship, obj's, texture maps etc, I saved in a folder called 'slaveship', so its definitely got that stamped in my mind.

And, yes, the tail, as the tip of the wing, are near the end of a very weighty do-list.

Unfortunately, im still looking for ways to expand the picture further. I can see this stretching on for quite some timeuser added image

# 37 01-01-2010 , 03:28 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
I think the image looks interesting it reminds me of that michael jackson clip with that rollercoaster thing can't remember what it was called however...

Finally an image that isn't about golden ratio's or proportions just something the maker came up with.

lovelyuser added image

# 38 01-01-2010 , 07:51 PM
Super Moderator
I'm trying soo hard to see those faces you guys are on about but I just can't lol . Unless its those repeats in the top and center. I think the pixel aspect ratio might be off though, the image seems a bit squashed now.

- Genny
# 39 01-01-2010 , 08:06 PM
Subscriber
I was going to make the comments about the 3 faces in the sky to but it looks like I've been beat to it.

# 40 01-01-2010 , 10:56 PM
Subscriber
bloody faces!!! Ive spent hours on this, and everyones commenting on the bits that arent supposed to be there:headbang: :p

ha ha...

I would circle them out for you genny, but Ive cloned them out now (although Im sure someone will find another!) Two are a bit hard to spot, but mustafa, heres right there, all in a quadrant of his own...! Think 'The Lion King'

# 41 04-01-2010 , 03:35 PM
Subscriber
Ive tried to make some tweaks here and there. I thought maybe the volcano in the background could be having more of an effect so Ive tried to black up that bit of the sky a bit. But my painting skills have let me down a bit I think. I added a bit to the dragons shadow though again, not sure if its an improvement. Some bits and bobs to the masts and sails like with the birds sitting on top, and I tried to take some of the foreground lamp colour and paint over some of the back of the ship to try and tie it into the foreground a little. I think the difference in contrast between the dragon and the ship isnt helping things so I might try and enhance some of the contrast of the shadows on the ship. and theres a slight fog now infront of the ship. And got rid of some of those faces

Attached Thumbnails
# 42 04-01-2010 , 03:41 PM
Subscriber
I searched around for some images of dragons on google to try and find some other dragons I could add, but most were more decorative and interesting than the one I already have, so Ive gone for a simpler Kimodo Dragon. Taking the lead from Jay, id like to create a more accurate bash mesh in maya before going to z, heres early days..

Attached Thumbnails
# 43 04-01-2010 , 07:44 PM
Subscriber
brunch_time doors...

Attached Thumbnails
# 44 04-01-2010 , 07:51 PM
The thin red line
Hi Ben
looking good, I think the arms and legs stick out to the side more, If you where looking for a picture of a dragon you should have ask as a picture of my missis would do lol..............dave

# 45 04-01-2010 , 07:58 PM
Subscriber
ha ha!

cheers, gonna tweak some bits here and there...