Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 05-03-2003 , 04:54 PM

Can I assign two or more materials to one Nurbs surface?

I wanna assign two projected materials to the different parts of a surface? Can I do this as polygon? Help me please? Thanks.

# 2 05-03-2003 , 05:06 PM
Make the materials in the Hypershade and change the object into face mode, select the parts of the object that you the material assigned to and in the hypershade right click on the material and select "assign to selected"

I hope this works. There maybe other ways, i use this method.

user added image

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 3 05-03-2003 , 05:16 PM
I did it but not worked. I first selected the patch of a surface and assigned it a material, then redid the steps to another patch. The scene view is ok. But when I rendered the scene, the oject was still the same state or just one material appeared. Is there anything wrong?

# 4 05-03-2003 , 05:19 PM
Here is the warning:

Warning: nurbsSphereShape1: rendering of per-patch shader assignments not supported for NURBS.

# 5 05-03-2003 , 05:31 PM
The Maya Mountain
from what I've been able to determine, you'd need to use Layered Shaders and/or Layered Textures. I don't work with Nurbs very often, this is one reason why.

# 6 05-03-2003 , 05:50 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I wanta model a jet and assign it with two material(one projected material from the top, and another one from the bottom).
I know if the model is polygon, it will be more easy to texture. But Im familiar with nurbs, so I wanta do it with nurbs.
This means that I maybe only have two ways: either convert the model to polygon or split the surfaces into two parts. What do u guys think?

# 7 23-03-2003 , 09:02 AM
SM Alumni
Yup, I'd go ahead and detach the top from the bottom and texture them seperately, easy way to go about it user added image

The hard way is to actually edit the UV's to make the texture match the topology of the jet....not such an easy way user added image

Darkon

Red bellows of flame have blackened my stones
Convulsing my frame and cracking my bones
Hell's dragons of steel who roar in their chains
Crawl into my caves to suck out my veins.....

-The Mountain P.F.M.
# 8 24-03-2003 , 03:02 AM
Yeah. However, in order to make my model more flexible, I finally choose the layer texture. I use two project texture and one alpha channel in a layer texture to perform the task. And it looks good but I work more. user added image