Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 03-07-2003 , 10:35 AM
Subscriber
here is a low poly and a smoothed version...

I'm still not happy with a few things like the ears (dont laugh I did them w/o any help user added image )

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 03-07-2003 , 12:01 PM
Emo,

Good start!!

Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 18 03-07-2003 , 12:15 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Brian, (this is a really big compliment since it's coming from you user added image )

but anyway, like I said earlier, I have a lot to do and not enough time in the remaining 10 days

hmm... what do you guys think I should work on the most??

The hardest part is going to be texturing the little guy...that's gonna be pain!

-Emo

# 19 03-07-2003 , 12:29 PM
Subscriber
By the way Brian, I started out with Nurbs, then converted to Poly's and now I want to convert it to SubDs but it gives me an error saying:

// Error: line 2: polyToSubdiv1 (Poly To Subdiv Node): One or more edges is nonmanifold.
// Nonmanifold geometry cannot be converted to a subdivision surface.
// To clean up nonmanifold edges, use Polygons->Cleanup with the nonmanifold option. //
// Error: line 2: Command polyToSubdiv failed. Open Script Editor for details. //

and the problem is that even after I do a Cleanup it still wont convert and it gives me the same error user added image

any suggestions?
-Em

# 20 03-07-2003 , 01:40 PM
if it is the same error... did you make sure that the nonmanifold box is checked on when you clean it up?? Are all your normals facing the same dirrection? For me, if I get that particular error, its allways one of those two problems... I would make sure the NM box was checked and if that didn't work, check your normals. Hope that helps! If there is a different error, then let me know.
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 21 03-07-2003 , 01:43 PM
Subscriber
Yes, the check box is checked but I haven't checked the normals...

thanks a lot, I'll try it now

-Emo

EDIT: Just checked them..and they seem fine user added image

I wonder what it can be... the reason I want to convert it to SubDs is because I can't think of any other way to outline the eye socket...

-Emo

Last edited by Emo; 03-07-2003 at 01:50 PM.
# 22 03-07-2003 , 02:12 PM
I am not doing anything right now for the next 20 min, u can send me just that piece of mesh really quick and I can take a look if you want... BTW it should only take a few min to check it anyways just zip it up and send me a pm.

Please check
My (old) website!
# 23 03-07-2003 , 03:06 PM
Subscriber
hey Brian, Sorry but got carried away watching TV so I guess my 20 min are gone...(youre not online)

and your PM box is full anyway so... I'll E-mail it to you if that's ok..

thanks a lot!

# 24 03-07-2003 , 03:40 PM
Yeah thats ok, I can't spend to much time on it, but I am going to check it out now for the some things, and let you know what I come up with. K?? Thanks!
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 25 03-07-2003 , 04:04 PM
Hmmm... DO you still have a nurbs version? The problem comes in when you converted to polys... If you plan on converting to Sub D's There are some things to take into consideration... It really needs to be a clean mesh, with as many quads as possible... Definetly nothing more than 4 sides. Kinda like a English Essay when they say "no forms of B allowed" Get what I am saying? user added image Its one of the most important rules to a nice clean Sub d mesh. Anyways... The best way to convert from Nurbs to Sub D's is to take your Nurbs Surface and rebuild the surface to a higher # when you are finnised modeling it. Lets say 20X20 (depends on your model) then convert using Controll Points. . Witch can be good because you can control how many polys alot quicker,but it really rounds everything out and you loose alot of detail. Look at the pic below, the first Shape is Nurbs.The second is the standard way of converting it to Polys, like you did with your fetus. the Third way is by controll points.The final way that I have posted is when you convert using control points. In my opinion that is probably the best way to do it. So.. I would Highly recomend trying one of the last two ways of converting from Nurbs to Polys, and it should work fine, plus you will have a much nicer looking Sub D mesh with out all of the Wrinkles (hopefully) Hope this helps, let me know...
Brian
Hope this helps?

Brian

Attached Thumbnails

Please check
My (old) website!
# 26 04-07-2003 , 12:15 AM
Subscriber
wow, youre right, it is a lot more clean!

well the only reason I switched to Poly's from Nubs is because I needed a way to connect the head and the body so I cobined them and then I did stuff like Merge Vertecies and all that..

but I guess I"m back to sqare one and try it agiain user added image

thanks a lot, I really appreciate it!

-Emo

# 27 04-07-2003 , 09:10 AM
Hey Emo- Ya fetus is comming out well. But its seems to me ya fetus is prematured. R u sure ya reference is 3month old. b'cause the ref i have, it says it 3 months old. Ne way Nice work :bgreen:

# 28 04-07-2003 , 09:11 AM
Hey Brain!! Thanx 4 the tips. i didn't know bout those things. N nice work with the June Challange!

# 29 04-07-2003 , 09:13 AM
I'm done with the body. I'll upload the images as soon as i get home.

-chathura

# 30 04-07-2003 , 09:39 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by chathura
Hey Emo- Ya fetus is comming out well. But its seems to me ya fetus is prematured. R u sure ya reference is 3month old. b'cause the ref i have, it says it 3 months old. Ne way Nice work :bgreen:

Yup, the reference picutre I'm using said that was a 3 month one..(even the file name was "3month.jpg")

anywa, just got back from work and I'll try to see what I can do differently this time!

-Emo