Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 29-06-2011 , 06:51 PM

New at modeling - need some help planning models

Hey all,

I'm new to this forum and joined since it looked like the friendliest one for new Maya users. I've been using a student version of 2011 for a couple months, and after orienting myself with the user interface I feel ready to tackle some of my own model designs. I just have some quick questions...

How would you model something that is covered by something else? For example, a fast food hamburger that would be wrapped in paper but animated so that the paper would be removed. Or clothing on a character -- how would one go about planning the models for this so that they would either unwrap or deform nicely?

When modeling faces, how would you go about modeling the eyeball? I've watched several videos and haven't been able to figure it out yet (although I would prefer the edge extrusion method over box modeling for faces). Do you just put a sphere behind the eyelids? What about irises and pupils

What are some tips for modeling human bodies to keep edge flows nice for good animation? And how can one go about adding 'thickness' to polygons (like for paper or something)?

Thank you all for your suggestions! I hope I don't sound like a total dork for asking!

gsr

# 2 30-06-2011 , 10:20 PM
The thin red line
Not sure that you have it in the student version but ncloth would be the first one other than that modelling.
Eye ball are best done with modelling and texturing (transparencey)just think how a eye is made. The shape of the eye and its inner parts,
This is how I do my modelling a face I am not saying it work for every one, see link..........dave

https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35443

# 3 01-07-2011 , 04:12 AM
Oh, okay! My version does have ncloth but I haven't toyed around with it yet - I definitely will! I wonder how you would wrap it around something?

As far as modeling eyes go, do you just use a sphere and parent it to the head? Some of the tutorials I have looked at on the internet have lots of primitives sort of placed on top of each other...I thought that was a no no. Your images looked like you just used a basic sphere and modeled the eyelid around it, is that an okay way to go for animating later?

Thank you for your reply!

# 4 01-07-2011 , 09:53 AM
The thin red line
Yes I did use a shere in there but if I were to finish the model I would have put in a realistic eye made up of 3 primatives nothing wrong with that..........dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 5 02-07-2011 , 02:56 PM
Ohhhhhkay... I see now. So multiple primitives are okay for something like that. Thanks so much!